• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

CAGED System – Variations & Embellishments Over Two Chords – Lesson 32

Jeffrey Leon

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Liking the course content, but the progression is wicked fast for a "beginner". Anyone else struggling to keep up with. Big G is the man, but super frustrating trying to keep up with this guy... went from 0 to 60 when CAGED 1 & 2 started,
Is the idea to practice those for 3 months before moving on? Or just disregard the speed and complexity for now and keep going..?

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Liking the course content, but the progression is wicked fast for a "beginner". Anyone else struggling to keep up with. Big G is the man, but super frustrating trying to keep up with this guy... went from 0 to 60 when CAGED 1 & 2 started,
Is the idea to practice those for 3 months before moving on? Or just disregard the speed and complexity for now and keep going..?
Hey Jeffrey!
You're right. There is a ton of information packed into a small amount of videos - and it moves fast. It is laid out in a progressive manner, as one concept leads to another. Some lessons certainly take longer than others. I suspect that CAGED would take at least 3 months to master. We approached this school as a dictionary of techniques and theory, as opposed to teaching you a bunch of songs that happen to employ these same concepts, (which probably would have been more fun, but would have taken another 500 videos).
There are thousands of Youtube videos that teach songs, and if you study the lessons we've provided you'll be able to play pretty much all of them.

Between Syn and I, we have shared about 75 years of our musical knowledge in these videos. Try not to be frustrated if you have to spend a little more time on some videos than others. Some of this stuff is really hard.
Good luck!
pg

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
Apr 18, 2020
Cologne, Germany
It is absolutely okay to move on for a bit in the lessons and then come back later. I would say, when you are stuck somewhere deep in the CAGED lessons, it is a good idea to dive a bit into the intermediate lessons, in particular the ones about picking techniques and intermediate techniques, and then come back to CAGED later. Some of these lessons have enough material to come back to for months or even years, it's impossible to just fully understand everything before moving on.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
How long is each lesson taking you? I rushed through them before and eventually revisited the lessons and spent real time on some. Caged system was on I spent a lot of time on and didn't really ever go past there because of the amount of content that came from just that.

Reactions: Brian Haner Sr.
Synner Endless Summer Collection