• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

CAGED system

CisaD

New Student
Dec 10, 2021
Recently finish the lesson of the CAGED system part 1, and at the end it is indicated that the same can be done with shapes A, G, E, D

I have 2 questions

1. To continue I must learn the pentatonic and major scales of each one?

2. To make the pentatonic and major scales, is it the same? in terms of frets, that is,will it depend on the shapes I touch(C, A, G, E, D? Higher or Lower

My English is not very good so I hope you can understand me and can help me

Note: I can say that for the C form, I have learned the pentatonic and major scales

Thank you

Zach Schreiber

Campfire Attention Holder
I would recommend learning the pentatonic and major scale for all the shapes, yes. One of the reasons the CAGED system exists is to help you play chords, notes, double-stops, all over the fretboard quickly and easily. So don’t stop at the first one.

To answer your second question, the same notes of the pentatonic and major scale of D are present in all five shapes but will appear in different places, once you learn all the shapes it’ll start to become more clear visually.

A big thing I wish someone told me when I was starting was to learn what all the notes on the fretboard are, it takes time but once you know what notes you’re playing, finding all the scales and shapes becomes super easy! Hope I answered your questions well!

Upvote 0

Zach Schreiber

Campfire Attention Holder
I would recommend learning the pentatonic and major scale for all the shapes, yes. One of the reasons the CAGED system exists is to help you play chords, notes, double-stops, all over the fretboard quickly and easily. So don’t stop at the first one.

To answer your second question, the same notes of the pentatonic and major scale of D are present in all five shapes but will appear in different places, once you learn all the shapes it’ll start to become more clear visually.

A big thing I wish someone told me when I was starting was to learn what all the notes on the fretboard are, it takes time but once you know what notes you’re playing, finding all the scales and shapes becomes super easy! Hope I answered your questions well!
4852DE67-9CD2-4438-B8BE-72CCF403800A.jpeg

Here’s a good visual representation of the D Pentatonic scale, as you can see the same five notes appear all over the fretboard, in fact, all five CAGED shapes are here!

• Love
Reactions: CisaD
Upvote 0