• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Caged; what are the modes?

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I never learned the scale shapes with the Caged system, just the chord shapes but I decided to learn the belonging chord with them according to CAGED.
    Basically the Caged scales shapes are Lydian, Aeolian, Locrian, Dorian, and Phrygian? I feel like it's missing the original major scale.

Edit: I'm referring to modes as the shapes, not to different scales.

CAGED-Major-Scales-1.jpg
    modes-major-scale.jpg

Last edited:
    Solution
    I am not completely sure what you mean.

The 7 positions of the Major scale can lign up wity the CAGED shapes for sure.

Now if you want to name every shape of the major scale with a mode thats another story. Just as a heads up...you can play in ionian using the second or "Dorian" shape. Modes are not about the shape but then notes you play. Notes first shapes second (not trying to be a dick nor teach down to you, just having your best interest in mind).Like Ionian being the first shape and such.

So you can lign them up like this if I am not mistaken

1st or Ionian overlapping with the E and D shape

2nd or Dorian overlapping with D and C

3rd or Phrygian overlapping with C and A

4th or Lydian overlapping with A and G

5th or...

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I never learned the scale shapes with the Caged system, just the chord shapes but I decided to learn the belonging chord with them according to CAGED.
    Basically the Caged scales shapes are Lydian, Aeolian, Locrian, Dorian, and Phrygian? I feel like it's missing the original major scale.

Edit: I'm referring to modes as the shapes, not to different scales.

modes-major-scale.jpg
    This picture looks like the 7 Major Scale positions

Upvote 0

lalalala

New Student
    Jan 13, 2022
    Modes are the same notes but played over a different context or tone center if you will. So say you just get the ionian "shape" for example. If you move up the red dot one note in the school that basically gives you a different modes. Please don't confuse the modes with the different shapes (even though it's technically true that's each shape could be a different modes if you look at them as separate scales theoretically they are vastly different). I've been told that if you know the major scale all over the neck you effectively also know all the modes and playing something all over the neck is effectively what CAGED really helps you with, the only difference being that there are 5 CAGED shapes and 7 modes so gotta find the two extra as well.

Reactions: SimonEichinger
    Upvote 0

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain

The 7 positions of the Major scale can lign up wity the CAGED shapes for sure.

Now if you want to name every shape of the major scale with a mode thats another story. Just as a heads up...you can play in ionian using the second or "Dorian" shape. Modes are not about the shape but then notes you play. Notes first shapes second (not trying to be a dick nor teach down to you, just having your best interest in mind).Like Ionian being the first shape and such.

So you can lign them up like this if I am not mistaken

1st or Ionian overlapping with the E and D shape

2nd or Dorian overlapping with D and C

3rd or Phrygian overlapping with C and A

4th or Lydian overlapping with A and G

5th or Mixolydian overlapping with A and G

6th or Aeolian overlapping with G and E

7th or Locrian overlapping with E and D

Hope this helps in the short run.

My long run advice is (and i am repeating myself I know).....Notes first and shapes arpeggios and chords later.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Solution

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Yeah, after posting this I was pretty convinced I would confuse everyone who'd read this. 🤣

I think you understand me though, we may just look at it differently. I was thinking if you play the E shape you're playing Ionian. Which is basically what you said if I understood you right.

I know the notes (ahum, sort off. Well, enough at least. The circle of fifth will save me if needed), just putting a name to the pattern gives me a better grasp of the scales used in the caged system since I already know all the modes. It won't feel like I'm learning something new while realising later that I already know it I guess.

• Love
    Reactions: Christian Schulze
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Yess definitely I mean I do the same.

Like I think dorian shape but mean second shape.

But yess always integrating everything we know will help us!!!

I need the names for that because I haven't memorised them as 1st, 2nd etc even though I know the order when playing, but if I play it's all one scale. The patterns aren't boxes anymore.

Thanks for answering

• Love
    Reactions: Christian Schulze
    Upvote 0