• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Can I have some constructive help for my songs mixing/song. (it's unmixed)

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
London
www.youtube.com
Hey guys been a long time hope you are all ok? I was really excited about this song. I paid to get some feedback on a site called submithub and it seems like the song is crap loool. Just wanted to run the song by you guys. I hate being deluded my belief that it is good. Anyway here it is

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Hey Andrew! I am glad to see you here, hope you are doing well!

So after a first listen, here is my take:

- I feel like the instrumentation is buried behind your vocals, which are extremely layered but a bit too much maybe.
    - Your guitar tone, and that's on a personal note, has maybe a bit too much drive going on and would benefit by being ''cleaner'' or perhaps have a softer drive that would add just a little bite without muddying too much your tone!

All said and done, I still think it's great that you did this because you gain experience from it and what comes next might just be even better! Good luck!

• Love
    Reactions: Andrew Fernandes

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    London
    www.youtube.com
    Hey Andrew! I am glad to see you here, hope you are doing well!

So after a first listen, here is my take:

- I feel like the instrumentation is buried behind your vocals, which are extremely layered but a bit too much maybe.
    - Your guitar tone, and that's on a personal note, has maybe a bit too much drive going on and would benefit by being ''cleaner'' or perhaps have a softer drive that would add just a little bite without muddying too much your tone!

All said and done, I still think it's great that you did this because you gain experience from it and what comes next might just be even better! Good luck!
    Thanks for the feedback, do you think it's a good song. Like a catchy good song structure. It's not mixed yet my producer is gonna mix it hopefully he will have a lot of time to mix it.

Reactions: Rad Synner

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Thanks for the feedback, do you think it's a good song. Like a catchy good song structure. It's not mixed yet my producer is gonna mix it hopefully he will have a lot of time to mix it.
    So if I judge this from a very objective point of view, I would say yes. It seems to have a very ''pop'' vibe to it, something more easy to listen too though if I'd be behind it, I would maybe make some parts shorter as sometimes it may drag a bit too long but, yeah that's just me!

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    London
    www.youtube.com
    So if I judge this from a very objective point of view, I would say yes. It seems to have a very ''pop'' vibe to it, something more easy to listen too though if I'd be behind it, I would maybe make some parts shorter as sometimes it may drag a bit too long but, yeah that's just me!
    Yh thanks makes a lot of sense I was worried about it dragging on, i wasnt sure how to change up the song structure hehe

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hey man, how you doing? So I am nowhere near an expert in mixing/song wrtiting etc but couple things jumped out to me:
    1. Vocals and instruments are fighting for space here. Maybe the main frequencies occupy the same range. The focus keeps jumping around from vocals to music and back very abruptly.
    2. Guitar tone, although its heavily depends on personal preference, seems a bit too aggressive at times. It may not be the tone, maybe its just the style you are using. Maybe more sustained notes will help, lesser distortion etc.
    Share the updated one as well so that I could learn what changes you made for my own stuff.

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    London
    www.youtube.com
    Hey man, how you doing? So I am nowhere near an expert in mixing/song wrtiting etc but couple things jumped out to me:
    1. Vocals and instruments are fighting for space here. Maybe the main frequencies occupy the same range. The focus keeps jumping around from vocals to music and back very abruptly.
    2. Guitar tone, although its heavily depends on personal preference, seems a bit too aggressive at times. It may not be the tone, maybe its just the style you are using. Maybe more sustained notes will help, lesser distortion etc.
    Share the updated one as well so that I could learn what changes you made for my own stuff.
    Do you like the song? What do you think about the ideas in the song?

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    It's a nice vibe, some things could be different or moved around but I'm not sure what. I wonder how it sounds after being mixed, I remember Radu saying it's better to leave out the effects and leave it for mixing or something like that. Did you record multiple vocal tracks and layer them? I still want to try that myself

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    London
    www.youtube.com
    It's a nice vibe, some things could be different or moved around but I'm not sure what. I wonder how it sounds after being mixed, I remember Radu saying it's better to leave out the effects and leave it for mixing or something like that. Did you record multiple vocal tracks and layer them? I still want to try that myself
    Yeah, I did for everything really except the main chorus, I did double-track the "hated for ma.." Only really double-tracked the "heart" word in the chorus and "inside" O and I didn't double-track the hear me nowwww oww. It was more a decision on my part to double-track because my first producer always did it, and at the time I still couldn't really sing and I sounded great thanks to him and maybe the double tracking, hey maybe I still can't sing haha, There is one part I really liked of the double-tracking I think its when I sing "yes me!" I tried singing with distortion for the double-track vocal which was cool. I would deffo recommend double tracking.

Reactions: William B.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah, I did for everything really except the main chorus, I did double-track the "hated for ma.." Only really double-tracked the "heart" word in the chorus and "inside" O and I didn't double-track the hear me nowwww oww. It was more a decision on my part to double-track because my first producer always did it, and at the time I still couldn't really sing and I sounded great thanks to him and maybe the double tracking, hey maybe I still can't sing haha, There is one part I really liked of the double-tracking I think its when I sing "yes me!" I tried singing with distortion for the double-track vocal which was cool. I would deffo recommend double tracking.
    I was listening for those highlights earlier, it's nice
    Was thinking since when the strings vibrate, a note higher or lower would match like making a chord, it would probably work for vocals as well. For example sing a C and and sing the same in A and E than layer them, I haven't tried it. Maybe that's how people do those acapella harmonies if that's the term for it

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    London
    www.youtube.com
    Hey Andrew I've been mixing and mastering for the past 5 years. Since we are here in Syn's school I'd love to mix and master for you for free of charge. I love the song it's catchy if you're interested, you can dm me anytime or reach my mail at [email protected]
    I would love to give it to you, but I don't have the project file, my producer at the charity for artists with mental health has it on their system. Thank you for the offering though. I think their not allowed to share the project file even with me.

• Love
    Reactions: Nge Ngal Lay

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    London
    www.youtube.com
    I was listening for those highlights earlier, it's nice
    Was thinking since when the strings vibrate, a note higher or lower would match like making a chord, it would probably work for vocals as well. For example sing a C and and sing the same in A and E than layer them, I haven't tried it. Maybe that's how people do those acapella harmonies if that's the term for it
    Harmonies seem difficult for me i can do it but there will always be one or 2 wrong notes when i try to transpose it.

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    London
    www.youtube.com
    how come they can't share it with you, if it's difficult could practice it if wanting something new
    Not sure I think it's kinda their property or something or due to copyright they may feel our artist would share the individual elements around. Also probably make the workflow for the producers better.