• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Casadastraphobia

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hey guys!

I've been thinking about an experience I had recently while on Holiday in Germany and thought I could get great advice here.

I suffer from a rare phobia known as Casadastraphobia, which is (hillariously) a fear of falling upwards, into the sky. (Trust me I know 😂)

Any time I'm in a city with massive buildings or large structures, the second my eye catches them, I get a feeling of intense panic, my feet don't feel rooted to the ground, and I feel the need to grab something to hold onto or I need to get inside somewhere ASAP.
    This also happens in large open sky places like parks, and places with very high ceilings - it's like my brain tricks my mind into thinking that I'm going to fall into the sky.

This happened recently while in Germany - and it's the worst episode I've ever experienced - I ended up having to leave a large gathering at a huge park and to get an uber back to our Air Bnb, because I was convinced that I was in real danger.
    Its so strange because I know, logically (even during an episode) that the outcome of my fear can never happen, but I can't shake the feelings in the moment. I've even had it happen at Download Festival in the arena, where I had to stick my head under my fiancé's deck chair just to feel like I was under something 😂

I would love to know if anyone else here suffers from this or if anyone has any stories/advice on how they beat a bad phobia?

Thanks in advance and I swear I am a sane individual 👌

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Interesting! I mean it sounds incredibly not chill, but I’ve never heard of this before 🤯 I have no advice that I can really offer here because I do not have the slightest bit of knowledge on this particular phobia but for me and my fear of flying, I know that sometimes the “face your fear and just experience it head on” advice is not always the best. These things are generally far more complex than that. That may work for some folks but everyone needs to find the approach that works best for them and I hope you find yours!

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Interesting! I mean it sounds incredibly not chill, but I’ve never heard of this before 🤯 I have no advice that I can really offer here because I do not have the slightest bit of knowledge on this particular phobia but for me and my fear of flying, I know that sometimes the “face your fear and just experience it head on” advice is not always the best. These things are generally far more complex than that. That may work for some folks but everyone needs to find the approach that works best for them and I hope you find yours!
    Yeah it really sucks, and it's worse knowing it's completely irrational. I totally agree with you though, sometimes exposure therapy for certain things can just be a negative feedback loop - I'll no doubt find my approach eventually 🤟

• Love
    Reactions: Jamie London
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    I'm a huge proponent of mental health work with a professional. There's so much stigma attached to it, but it can be life-changing if you do it right.
    I believe that everyone should talk to a therapist even if there isn’t anything “wrong” (I use that term very loosely for lack of a better term). Just having that someone to talk to, to help sort out your own thoughts can make a world of difference.
    “no you aren’t crazy”
    “Yes your feelings are valid”
    There shouldn’t be anything taboo associated with talking about one’s mental health!

thanks for listening to my Ted talk

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I'm a huge proponent of mental health work with a professional. There's so much stigma attached to it, but it can be life-changing if you do it right.
    Yeah I definitely agree with this 👌 There's especially a stigma with us guys for some reason. It's probably going to be my first step in trying to beat this

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I believe that everyone should talk to a therapist even if there isn’t anything “wrong” (I use that term very loosely for lack of a better term). Just having that someone to talk to, to help sort out your own thoughts can make a world of difference.
    “no you aren’t crazy”
    “Yes your feelings are valid”
    There shouldn’t be anything taboo associated with talking about one’s mental health!

thanks for listening to my Ted talk
    I 100% agree with this. Having that kind of feedback and support all the time would be great!

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Never thought about it before but I had something similar looking up at high structures from close below, I think not suppose to naturally look directly up.
    Maybe its not the same and I have no advice

Last edited: