• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Changing string gauge

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Hey guys!
I really want to start covering some dethklok/galaktikon in the near future, so Im going to be changing string gauge on my snow falcon (flying v) from .10-.52’s to .12-.56’s. Dont really have a guitar tech anywhere close (like an hour away) so im going to do it myself! I know ill have to adjust the truss rod, and intonation. Is there anything else i should do to ensure a proper setup?

Edward John

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
UK
I would honestly encourage you to get a professional to do it, changing string gauges causes a lot of problems, especially when you are going to that 12 - 13 gauge, it it's just a step then it should be fine. But I would honestly have a luthier do it for you, that way you can be certain of no screw ups!

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
I would honestly encourage you to get a professional to do it, changing string gauges causes a lot of problems, especially when you are going to that 12 - 13 gauge, it it's just a step then it should be fine. But I would honestly have a luthier do it for you, that way you can be certain of no screw ups!
I definitely would if the nearest guy to do it wasnt an hour and a half away i just looked it up 😂 ive done my research so far and from what i can tell since im going down a major third, the gauge im going to will keep about the same tension as .10’s in Standard E

Reactions: Edward John

Firsty Lasty

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Imo guitar setup is always better to do yourself if you can. Here's the thing- if a guitar doesn't have a floyd rose bridge there is almost zero cost and risk to simply throw the new strings on and see what problems do/don't exist. Just put them on and have a look. Are the nut slots a problem or not a problem? How's the neck relief? That takes just seconds to eyeball and get a general idea. I pretty much never feel a need to adjust string height at the bridge, so that might not even be a thing to worry about. If you put on the new strings and everything is a disaster, then just take them off and put the good strings back on while you figure out your next step.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Imo guitar setup is always better to do yourself if you can. Here's the thing- if a guitar doesn't have a floyd rose bridge there is almost zero cost and risk to simply throw the new strings on and see what problems do/don't exist. Just put them on and have a look. Are the nut slots a problem or not a problem? How's the neck relief? That takes just seconds to eyeball and get a general idea. I pretty much never feel a need to adjust string height at the bridge, so that might not even be a thing to worry about. If you put on the new strings and everything is a disaster, then just take them off and put the good strings back on while you figure out your next step.
Yeah it doesnt have a floyd; if it did i would definitely drive the hour and a half to have it professionally done!