• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Changing strings and breakage 😭

owencheah

New Student
Jan 10, 2020
Okay, so I’ve changed the strings on my Ovation acoustic numerous times, and have NEVER had the issue I had tonight.

So, I changed my strings and thus began tuning via my chromatic tuner pedal. Oddly, when I’d pluck a string and just let it right out it was super wonky. It was like.... “hey girl, this is an A...ohnope it’s a B...no!!!!! It’s an F !!!”
Lol.

So I’m like ....okay.... Let’s stretch the strings

The stretching commenced.

Try again.

okay....we are
getting an actual note now!!!

All was fine and dandy until I got to my high E string and then..... it broke....scaring the shit out of me (literally, I had heart palpitations as I’ve NEVER broken a string before) and some slight damage to my hand lmao.
Wth went wrong ?!?!
The obvious answer is it was wound too tightly, but that’s not the case. What else should I be looking for ?

As I’ve said, I’ve changed the strings on this particular guitar many times and have never had this issue.
everyone is suggesting a bad string. i think so too. always try to get at least 2 strings when buying. if you dont need the second, oh well, a spare!

Reactions: Alicia Willis