• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Changing the way I hold my pick

Jaeger

New Student
Feb 5, 2023
I have been playing guitar for roughly 15 years now. Might I add on and off but I’ve recently noticed that my thumb, holding the pick, is curved in an awkward bend position. It allows me to tremolo pick pretty fast/pinch harmonics are no issue, however the pick becomes less stable and moves quite a bit compared to what I am practicing with the “correct” way to hold a pick now. In your opinion is it worth to even start from scratch or should I just continue on playing this way?

Attachments

• 8F1DBB91-7E7D-40D2-920F-6E92F291EDF1.jpeg
    8F1DBB91-7E7D-40D2-920F-6E92F291EDF1.jpeg
    720.9 KB · Views: 63
  • B55FBA0D-5044-432D-AA01-86586F506DEA.jpeg
    B55FBA0D-5044-432D-AA01-86586F506DEA.jpeg
    556.3 KB · Views: 67

JakAngelescu

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Aug 12, 2022
No kidding, I was playing guitar for 16 years before I joined this school. I couldn't ever play fast to save my life. It wasn't until this school where Papa said, "You may wanna change how you're holding the pick." On one of my videos. I sucked so badly with it. But in the long run, he was right. I improved dramatically in about 3 months and was able to play more comfortably and faster than ever.

But it's true, holding the pick DOES ultimately come down to comfort to some degree. But to answer your question, it's never too late to try and learn or adjust new things!

Upvote 0

Jaeger

New Student
Feb 5, 2023
No kidding, I was playing guitar for 16 years before I joined this school. I couldn't ever play fast to save my life. It wasn't until this school where Papa said, "You may wanna change how you're holding the pick." On one of my videos. I sucked so badly with it. But in the long run, he was right. I improved dramatically in about 3 months and was able to play more comfortably and faster than ever.

But it's true, holding the pick DOES ultimately come down to comfort to some degree. But to answer your question, it's never too late to try and learn or adjust new things!
I appreciate your input 🤘🏻

Upvote 0
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hey Jaeger,

Everyone else is pretty much on point here - it all comes down to comfort, trial and error.

If it helps at all to be devils advocate, the top picture you posted is the closest to how I eventually developed to hold my pick, the only thing I'd personally change would be how far up your pick is sitting on your index finger.

It may feel more comfortable and it might make it easier for accuracy if you sit the pick more on the part of your index finger that has your nail there Rather than the bigger part in the middle. It should feel less like managing an entire fist and will feel more like you're leaning on the side of your index finger, with the rest of your fingers tucked away and available for muting etc. This plus, moving the pick around for comfort should settle you in well.

But if not, do what feels right for you 😊

Hopefully that explanation translated somewhat well through text!

• Love
    Reactions: Rad Synner
    Upvote 0