• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Changing tuning

ori moshe

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
Israel
Yo guys, I had my synyster custom s set up for drop D quite a time, and I want to change to drop C#.
I tried when I've change stings but the floyed rose has changed its position so I've revert back to drop D.
Does it's because the intonation the Floyd rose have(and then I could tune to standard D# tuning), ot do I have to set up it?
Thanks for the help

Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    It happens this way because the Floyd (or ANY floating bridge) works like a see-saw. The strings provide tension on one side, and the springs on the back provide tension on the other. The bridge sits where these two forces balance out.

When you change tuning the entire guitar by a 1/2 step, you're loosening the tension on that side of the see-saw significantly. If you don't loosen the springs in the back, as well, then the bridge doesn't sit right. The springs are loosened by rotating the two screws that hold the spring claw to the body of the guitar.

So go ahead and tune to Drop C#, then loosen the claw screws one to two full turns, then tune up again - check the bridge. Repeat as necessary until it sits correctly.

A little of the same thing happens when you just do one string, like going from standard to drop d, but it's not enough to worry about the bridge for.

Upvote 0