• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Advanced CHORDS THEORY - Lesson 27 - Minor 9th and Minor 9th flat five chords

Advanced Theory

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    So how many colleges do I have to attend in order to understand these chords?
    1. Topics of discussion
    2. Minor 9th chords
    3. Minor 9th flat five chords
    1. Topics of discussion

In this tutorial, we continue our 9th chords journey by discussing minor 9th and minor 9th flat five chords. Be warned, you will be doing some serious stretches. So, let's have some fun.

2. Minor 9th chords

Minor 9th chords are formed by adding the 9th note on top of a minor 7th chord. Thus, the formula for these chords is 1 ♭3 5 ♭7 9.

The Cm9 chord consists of the C E♭ G B♭ D notes. Here is the most common way to play it. You can view it as a C form:

Cm9_Cform.png

And here it is played back.

And...this is quite possibly the place where the CAGED system reaches its limit and usefulness in playing chords. There are simply too many notes and too few fingers in order for you to be physically able to play these chords using the forms from the CAGED system.

That's not to say you cannot play minor 9th chords in other places. Some other ways in which you can play a Cm9 chord are the following:

Cm9_form1.png

Cm9_form2.png

Cm9_form3.png

3. Minor 9th flat five chords

And finally, we arrive at minor 9th flat five chords, notated as m9(♭5). These chords are formed by adding the 9th note on top of an m7(♭5) chord. Thus, the formula for them is 1 ♭3 ♭5 ♭7 9. Also worth noting is that the CAGED system can't really be applied for these chords either.

The notes for the Cm9(♭5) chord, therefore, are C E♭ G♭ B♭ D. Here are some ways to play it:

Cm9(b5)_form1.png

Cm9(b5)_form3.png

That about covers it for this tutorial. In the next one, we are going to add another note in the mix when we talk about 11th chords. See you then.

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Lindsey and idssdi

Andrew Milner

• Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    I think you have a couple fo mistakes here. There is an A in the 2nd chord. And there is a G# in the 6th chord.
    LOVE the voicing of the last chord! That belongs in a movie.

Well I'll be. You're correct. Imma fix them tomorrow, it's like 10:30 PM here and I've long since learned to never guitar when sleepy (and to never Dokkan when sleepy/drunk, though not many will get that :LOL:.

Thanks for the pointers and compliments :D.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    And done. Had to delete the second one you mentioned because I just couldn't find a way to play it correctly, at least not now :LOL:.
    Great job, Andrei! These lessons are covering areas either not covered in our lessons - or they are helping to explain some concepts that are included in our videos. Either way - you're killing it.
    I had never seen that inversion of the last chord you posted. You taught me something new!
    I appreciate you!
    PG

Andrew Milner

• Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Great job, Andrei! These lessons are covering areas either not covered in our lessons - or they are helping to explain some concepts that are included in our videos. Either way - you're killing it.
    I had never seen that inversion of the last chord you posted. You taught me something new!
    I appreciate you!
    PG

Much appreciated :D. Live and learn is what they say, right? :LOL:

Synner Endless Summer Collection