• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

City of Evil celebrates its 15th Birthday today

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    It's not a stretch to say this album (along with Trivium's The Crusade) restored my faith in heavy metal and metal guitar. Happy birthday, CoE!

1591496987311.png

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I remember hearing chapter 4. Unholy confessions and darkness surrounding. I was excited as this was my first real taste of hardcore. I got into other bands like them as well. Including 18 visions.

Then city of evil came out complete 180 turn. I fell in love. Many favourite songs. They all are essentially anthems. My favourite part was playing the album and having people say hey whos that? Then I'd tell them and theyd legit get mad.

Everyone loved to hate avenged. But couldn't admit that they secretly liked them. I cant believe this band has been in my life 15 years.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Huh, that old? This album was my first introduction to A7X's music, thanks to Need for Speed: Most Wanted (the good one, not the atrocity from 2012). Blinded in Chains was featured on the soundtrack for that game and it was one of the 3 songs that I always enjoyed when they came on (the other 2 being Decadence by Disturbed and Skinnyman by Static-X).

While my favorite one will probably always be their self-titled album, I feel that this one also has some underrated gems like Strength of the World for example.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I can't say enough good things about this album. Between the fearlessness of the songwriting to the amazing guitar & vocal work. It just has a sound completely of it's own!

I'll never forget when I first heard the Spanish-esque section in Sidewinder, it just brought a big smile to my face because I would've never imagined the section in that tune.

Happy Birthday COE! 🤟

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Not gonna lie, this was my first A7X album and I wasn't a fan. No doubting it has some great tracks but the big killer for me was the vocals, so whiny sounding, still struggle to listen to the album in full because of them.

I agree.. Matt's voice wasn't developed yet but he did a good job. He also experimented with vocal melodies that were very close to axl rose cause he used the same vocal coach at the time. So it makes sense. He came out with a much stronger voice in self entitled.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    I still love this album. This was the first A7X album I got to play on. And I actually got to play on 5 of the songs - including a dueling solo with my son on the end of Sidewinder. It's a wild album that's just all over the place. It's fun, imaginative, and almost reckless, (in a good way). This is an album where the band asked themselves on every song, "Is this too crazy? Can we do this? Should we do this?" And the answer was always, "Why not?!!!"
    Every song on this album makes me smile. Can't believe it's been 15 years! Seems like 14 1/2.
    : )
    pg

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I still love this album. This was the first A7X album I got to play on. And I actually got to play on 5 of the songs - including a dueling solo with my son on the end of Sidewinder. It's a wild album that's just all over the place. It's fun, imaginative, and almost reckless, (in a good way). This is an album where the band asked themselves on every song, "Is this too crazy? Can we do this? Should we do this?" And the answer was always, "Why not?!!!"
    Every song on this album makes me smile. Can't believe it's been 15 years! Seems like 14 1/2.
    : )
    pg

I totally agree with that statement not only did a
    Matt go clean. EVERY song takes you on a journey. And after seize the day.. it gets even MORE creative. Every song after has some part where it goes away from metal and to something completely different. That set the stage of how I enjoyed music for the rest of my life. Always wanting bands that push those same boundaries... there aren't many who can do it either. Let alone consistently.

That acouetic duet still gives me chills. Everytime.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    We take it for granted now, but that a song as "out there" in writing and arrangement was a hit single, really couldn't have been predicted. I'm a little burnt on Bat Country now, and for that reason (only) it's my "least favorite" on the record, but man, if there's a perfect metal record out there, this has got to be pretty high up on the list. It belongs in that all-time top 5 with Master of Puppets.