• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

City of Evil celebrates its 15th Birthday today

Andrew Chung

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I totally forgot about this yesterday. Such a great record! "Beast and the Harlot" was actually the first metal song I ever listened to, found entirely by accident while reading fanfiction -- as such, that song holds a very special place in my heart, as does the band for likewise being the first metal band I ever really listened to.

Coincidentally, though I entirely forgot about the anniversary, I listened to CoE in its entirety yesterday, just because. And I'm working on the rhythm parts of "Beast and the Harlot" and "Bat Country". Long live City of Evil! \m/

I remember being completely run over by Blinded In Chains playing NFSMW back in 2005. That music style was a bit too much for me back then (I was 10 y/o), and little did I know they would become my all time favorite band a few years later.

I'm still trying to figure out what Jimmy did on that triplet-like kick drum fill, btw.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
We take it for granted now, but that a song as "out there" in writing and arrangement was a hit single, really couldn't have been predicted. I'm a little burnt on Bat Country now, and for that reason (only) it's my "least favorite" on the record, but man, if there's a perfect metal record out there, this has got to be pretty high up on the list. It belongs in that all-time top 5 with Master of Puppets.
That's always the unfortunate part of having a hit. It gets overplayed. People get burned out and it becomes everyone's least favorite song. I LOVE The Beatles (as you know), but I usually turn the channel when Hey Jude comes on. Incredible song. I've just heard it too many times. I give myself "time off" from songs like that. Maybe every 5 years I'll listen all the way through. Cleanse the palate, so to speak.
When you listen to Bat Country with fresh ears and an open mind - it's still a fucking great song.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
That's always the unfortunate part of having a hit. It gets overplayed. People get burned out and it becomes everyone's least favorite song. I LOVE The Beatles (as you know), but I usually turn the channel when Hey Jude comes on. Incredible song. I've just heard it too many times. I give myself "time off" from songs like that. Maybe every 5 years I'll listen all the way through. Cleanse the palate, so to speak.
When you listen to Bat Country with fresh ears and an open mind - it's still a fucking great song.
I totally understand what you mean! For avenged I have it with song like afterlife, Hail To The King and Nightmare. I've simply heard them too many times. I usually start learning more towards the deep cuts after a while for that reason.

You know that movie called Yesterday where they play a bunch of Beatles songs? I'm the kinda guy that walks out of the cinema and is dissappointed they didn't play songs like Glass onion 😅

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Csgozzo91

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Apr 10, 2020
Madrid, Spain.
The same story here @ Víctor González I remember the first time I heard Blinded in Chains, it just blew my mind. My favorite album, and yes, I agree with #PapaGatesSaid, a great song with fresh ears and an open mind, but for me, it will always be a great song and album. I can't believe 15 years have passed.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Steven Huth

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Still my favorite record from the band. It really helped grow my love of music into the craziness that it is today. I remember seeing the music video for Bat Country on MTV and was like...."who are these guys!!?!?". You can hear the attitude in that song from the vocals to the instruments. I have been hooked to anything Avenged ever since.

Synner Endless Summer Collection