• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Collab! AUDITIONS

Hi everyone!
As of now 13 players have expressed they want to play lead, so we will be doing the auditions to decide who the 12 will end up being.

Some people have told me they wouldn't mind changing over to rhythm in order to let someone else play lead, and while that is very kind of you, I believe the auditions are not only the most fair way to decide but also will help ease the process along quite a bit.

The purpose of the audition is to 1) decide who the 12 lead players will be and 2) place those lead players in the song as this will showcase which genre each person shines in, Blues or Rock/Metal, making it easier for all of us to decide where everyone should play and whose playing styles would compliment whose for the teams.

RHYTHM PLAYERS: You DO NOT have to audition. This step is only for the people who signed up to play lead!

So with that being said, this is how the auditions will work:

Every player will audition with the first verse and chorus of the backing track to showcase their blues AND rock playing.

Please DO NOT play over the ENTIRE track as 13 auditions are a lot and 6 min per person is too much.
The players who are comfortable composing and or improvising are welcome to do so on their audition video.

For the players who don't feel confident writing, please leave a comment below. A solo to audition with will be written for those who prefer to learn something over writing their own.
The deadline for the audition videos will be 2 weeks after the aforementioned solo has been written, so people have time to learn and practice it.

Everyone who is auditioning must record their audition video (video quality is not as important during this step, a phone recording is fine) and post it on the riff section. I'm gonna ask @Jak Angelescu if she could create a special section in the riffs for this project titled "auditions".

After the deadline we will create a poll where we all will vote.
All 24 participants are allowed to vote, but no one outside the collab is allowed to vote, just to keep the numbers consistent. Details about the poll will be ironed out once we get closer to the deadline.

PLEASE DON'T MISS THE DEADLINE ONCE WE ANNOUNCE IT!

You can download the backing track here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bfJXdQhF43J8eY037G8bqAmkMFmwMYKe/view

@Alicia Willis @Calvin Phillips @Dominik Graeber @Adin Shepherd

@Mariler Ferrer @carlosmqr @Kim La @Christian J.S. Schulze Aguiar

@Ed Seith @Aileé Guerra Aréizaga @Rute Rodrigues @Ids Schiere

@Steven Perrone @Jacques @Jackson Harsin @Sayonil Mitra

@Alan Carter @Gabriel Perez @Serge-Jean @Kfir Yaakovi @Ben Grosskreuz

@Filip Tomiša @Jesse Salmons @Adam Shea

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jak Angelescu

Hi everyone!
As of now 13 players have expressed they want to play lead, so we will be doing the auditions to decide who the 12 will end up being.

Some people have told me they wouldn't mind changing over to rhythm in order to let someone else play lead, and while that is very kind of you, I believe the auditions are not only the most fair way to decide but also will help ease the process along quite a bit.

The purpose of the audition is to 1) decide who the 12 lead players will be and 2) place those lead players in the song as this will showcase which genre each person shines in, Blues or Rock/Metal, making it easier for all of us to decide where everyone should play and whose playing styles would compliment whose for the teams.

RHYTHM PLAYERS: You DO NOT have to audition. This step is only for the people who signed up to play lead!

So with that being said, this is how the auditions will work:

Every player will audition with the first verse and chorus of the backing track to showcase their blues AND rock playing.

Please DO NOT play over the ENTIRE track as 13 auditions are a lot and 6 min per person is too much.
The players who are comfortable composing and or improvising are welcome to do so on their audition video.

For the players who don't feel confident writing, please leave a comment below. A solo to audition with will be written for those who prefer to learn something over writing their own.
The deadline for the audition videos will be 2 weeks after the aforementioned solo has been written, so people have time to learn and practice it.

Everyone who is auditioning must record their audition video (video quality is not as important during this step, a phone recording is fine) and post it on the riff section. I'm gonna ask @Jak Angelescu if she could create a special section in the riffs for this project titled "auditions".

After the deadline we will create a poll where we all will vote.
All 24 participants are allowed to vote, but no one outside the collab is allowed to vote, just to keep the numbers consistent. Details about the poll will be ironed out once we get closer to the deadline.

PLEASE DON'T MISS THE DEADLINE ONCE WE ANNOUNCE IT!

@Alicia Willis @Calvin Phillips @Dominik Graeber @Adin Shepherd

@Mariler Ferrer @carlosmqr @Kim La @Christian J.S. Schulze Aguiar

@Ed Seith @Aileé Guerra Aréizaga @Rute Rodrigues @Ids Schiere

@Steven Perrone @Jacques @Jackson Harsin @Sayonil Mitra

@Alan Carter @Gabriel Perez @Serge-Jean @Kfir Yaakovi @Ben Grosskreuz

@Filip Tomiša @Jesse Salmons @Adam Shea
You got it! I'll also be creating the section for the prospective teachers

Synner Endless Summer Collection
Is there a deadline for the auditions? Im working in Indianapolis this week (like an hour and a half drive one-way so 3 hours of just driving a day!) so it might be tough to record during the week for me.
The deadline for the audition will be 2 weeks after the solo (for the people who don't feel confident writing or improvising) is written. So there is still plenty of time.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Okay, I'm kinda nervous and kinda excited.
    Out of curiosity though. @Aileé Guerra Aréizaga why playing Blues and Rock? I thought the backing track was already Made with a specific Number of Blues and Rock Players in mind :)
    Also how will Things Go after this? Will rhythm players record their Part and lead Players will play over it so they know exactly what to Play over?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Okay, I'm kinda nervous and kinda excited.
    Out of curiosity though. @Aileé Guerra Aréizaga why playing Blues and Rock? I thought the backing track was already Made with a specific Number of Blues and Rock Players in mind :)
    Also how will Things Go after this? Will rhythm players record their Part and lead Players will play over it so they know exactly what to Play over?
    The rock and blues part is mostly just so we don't have to go through 13 6 minutes of auditions, it's also to maybe gauge people's strengths and weaknesses so you can get the spot that where it has the highest probability to shine as bright as you can.

For the rhythm players there is already a drum track and a bass track which implies certain chords so the track should not change that much, the challenge there is to add something to it to it that makes the track a but more complete if you will.

Reactions: AGA and Jacques

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    The rock and blues part is mostly just so we don't have to go through 13 6 minutes of auditions, it's also to maybe gauge people's strengths and weaknesses so you can get the spot that where it has the highest probability to shine as bright as you can.

For the rhythm players there is already a drum track and a bass track which implies certain chords so the track should not change that much, the challenge there is to add something to it to it that makes the track a but more complete if you will.
    Well it would be less work if everybody would just audition for their strong genre, assume everybody knows which that is.
    And I heard the backing track, just thought it might be cool to give the lead players the opportunity to pick up what the rhythm players do, to make it fit perfectly.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Well it would be less work if everybody would just audition for their strong genre, assume everybody knows which that is.
    And I heard the backing track, just thought it might be cool to give the lead players the opportunity to pick up what the rhythm players do, to make it fit perfectly.
    Well, I honestly have no clue which part of the backingtrack my strong genre is. It's pretty hard to say sometimes tbh. But you make a fair point there.

We could do a compromise, whoever wants to audition for both can do the verse and chorus. Whoever wants to audition for only one can play whichever they're best at.
    And for the people who don't write or improv we can write a solo over the verse and chorus and they can audition with either or both depending on which genre they want.

@Dominik Graeber

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    We could do a compromise, whoever wants to audition for both can do the verse and chorus. Whoever wants to audition for only one can play whichever they're best at.
    And for the people who don't write or improv we can write a solo over the verse and chorus and they can audition with either or both depending on which genre they want.

@Dominik Graeber

I was not complaining, just wondering! We can do both!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I think what dominik is trying to say is some people KNOW what they want. Some people dont care where they go. And some know what they want but want to let others pick cause they can deal with either but would have a preference if given the choice. Everyone has their reasons for wanting a spot. Some people havent even touched the blues. Some spent the entire time there. It can be intimidating. So I see where he is coming from.

Just remember dominik that you are not going to use the solo for the collab. I think ids just confirmed that the backtrack actually wont be in the collab (I think that's what he said with bass and drums) and if that's the case its true those chords wont be used. You're rhythm could use 13ths over 5s or whatever. That changes the notes you can use slightly. So just go into it doing whatever. Dont think too hard.as you going in for a weakness.if you think you have one. Think of it like gonna blow it up in the blues and then do the metal for fun. Quite honestly the riff page is full of audition videos. I've seen you rock that penatonic scale and that's perfect for both blues and rock. You just gotta find the aminor position now for the solo.. or whatever scale you choose.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber