• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Collab! FILMING!

Hi everyone! The time has finally arrived!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND HARD WORK THROUGHOUT THIS PROCESS!

We have finally made it to the LAST STEP before finishing our very first Student Collaboration Project! Keep giving your best efforts, you’ve all grown so much during this last months!

Now, I will provide detailed instructions of what this step will entail! As always contact us with any questions you may have!

On this video, I explain the process of filming a musical performance. I go over gear, setting audio levels, lighting and recording tips and slating!

On this video I talk specifically about this project. I go over some specifications we must follow, and I explain how to slate for the Collaboration Project.

SPECIFICATIONS

VIDEO
  • Film your video on a horizontal orientation, landscape.
  • No dark videos, we want to see you.
  • We would prefer if your face and your guitar are both in the frame, unless someone doesn’t feel comfortable with their face appearing in the video. In which case frame only your guitar.
  • Background: a neutral background is best. Posters are ok, as long as they are not inappropriate. Avoid distracting backgrounds, we want the overall video to look as presentable and as professional as possible.
AUDIO
  • If you are recording with a microphone or a phone, record in a quiet environment and avoid spaces that produce echo.
  • Make sure your audio DOES NOT clip or distort at its loudest peak!
  • The guitar audio MUST BE ISOLATED.
  • For those with audio interfaces or recorders the audio recording specifications are: 48kHz, 24 bit, WAV file. For those that don’t have the possibility to record in this format, please just make sure you send me a WAV file. No mp3 or m4a.
  • Remember that audio quality is more important than video quality, if you only have one device to record the whole performance, prioritize audio quality over video quality.
DELIVERY
  • Please, send only your best take.
  • Everyone should send me 2 files. Your video file, and your audio file. Labeled as follows: Name_Video & Name_Audio (Example, Aileé_Video, Aileé_Audio) Students recording with a single device are exempt from this and just need to deliver their video file.
  • You can send your files to me using Google Drive to my professional email [email protected]
If your video and audio files fail to meet the requirements, or if your performance is sloppy, you will be asked to do it again. Please comply with the quality control regulations, we want to deliver the very best product we can and we are not only representing our school, but also honouring our peers’ hard work by delivering our personal best as well. When our collective effort shines, WE ALL SHINE!

Thank you.

SCHEDULE

Good luck everyone, can’t wait!

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Hah you thought you would get away with that Johnny, didn't you??

Okay, Switch to serious again. Lol. I have two questions. First is, how do I Go about the slating? I am Not experienced or confident with working with Bars and I usually record only to the Backing track. Any Tips to know where the slate Has to Come in or how to Set this Up?
    Also do Video and Audio have to already be Cut to the Same length? Probably Not If we have slating.

• Haha
    Reactions: Forgetabull and AGA

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Awesome!!

Not sure I can record anywhere but my room so it will be hard to make a clear background.

Can we record over the backing track? It keeps me better synced and I can isolate video, audio and guitar so it shouldn't be a problem
    Yes, you can record over the backingtrack. Just make sure you send the isolated audio.

Reactions: AGA
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com

Okay, Switch to serious again. Lol. I have two questions. First is, how do I Go about the slating? I am Not experienced or confident with working with Bars and I usually record only to the Backing track. Any Tips to know where the slate Has to Come in or how to Set this Up?
    Also do Video and Audio have to already be Cut to the Same length? Probably Not If we have slating.
    We will send you guys an audio file with the section where you play and it will have a two bar countdown. (2 bars are basically a metronome beeping 8 times).

beats and bars.png

So 1 bar has 4 beats and each beat is one metronome click. In your file you will have 2 bars of countdown, first bar is for you guys to get ready and the first beat of the second bar is where you slate just like Ailee shows in the video and after that second bar ends your section starts and you start playing. To set this up all you need to do is match the project tempo with the audio file and then the file will be perfectly in sync and you can just duplicate it to get more takes. The file will have a small tail at the end so that you guys don't stop playing before your part is over.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    We will send you guys an audio file with the section where you play and it will have a two bar countdown. (2 bars are basically a metronome beeping 8 times).

View attachment 884

So 1 bar has 4 beats and each beat is one metronome click. In your file you will have 2 bars of countdown, first bar is for you guys to get ready and the first beat of the second bar is where you slate just like Ailee shows in the video and after that second bar ends your section starts and you start playing. To set this up all you need to do is match the project tempo with the audio file and then the file will be perfectly in sync and you can just duplicate it to get more takes. The file will have a small tail at the end so that you guys don't stop playing before your part is over.
    Alright, thanks!

Lol, put a little easter egg in there 😂

So basically, you set everything up to film. Then press record on both the audio and the video. The count in goes like this.
    1-2-3-4 SLATE-2-3-4 and then the track begins
    The first 4 beats are to give you a heads up, and the 1 of the next bar is where you should slate.

No, you don't have to cut or edit anything, I will take care of that.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Lol, put a little easter egg in there 😂

So basically, you set everything up to film. Then press record on both the audio and the video. The count in goes like this.
    1-2-3-4 SLATE-2-3-4 and then the track begins
    The first 4 beats are to give you a heads up, and the 1 of the next bar is where you should slate.

No, you don't have to cut or edit anything, I will take care of that.
    Thank you!

Reactions: AGA
    Oof okay. I see it’s totally cool if we HAVE to record audio and video together.
    I do have an interface and I’ve learned how to record with it (kind of still not really loving the tone I get sometimes) but I have no idea how to export the audio to send it 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️
    We'd help you with that
    That's why we are dividing filming into sections, so we can help people one on one.

Reactions: Alicia Willis