• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Collab! Final Placements and Composition!

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I can feel both concerns here from @Calvin Phillips and @Aileé Guerra Aréizaga . The thing is, this model we are working with right now: Exec producers. producers then us (WhatEdSaid) is the most practical model we can use at this point. Letting each player do his/her own thing would sound wonderful on paper but that will actually cause problems with the cohesiveness in a composition. i have always been an advocate of using 2 brains instead of 1 in these type of scenarios. So far, we all have seen (due to being in this forum for quite some time) that each one of us in this team is talented enough to leave our individual signatures in whatever part we are given to play. And this is just the 1st collab effort (after the one we did with Jak). So even if anyone feels that he/she may be mistreated, his/her musical sensibilities are strong enough to shine on its own. And I am not only referring to Calvin here, this is a quite possible concern in anyone else' mind although it is not expressed directly in forum posts/comments. So if you have similar concerns in your mind, just trust your own guitar and everything will be fine. trust me, I have been involved in these type of situations way more often than I would like to.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
WhatEdSaid in very corporate language XD
I get what Ed's saying. But again.. when we started there was no mention of being told wed be produced. I wouldn't have joined because I dont need that help and I know others could have used that spot. I didn't cause I was told this would be a collection of solos so showcase what our players can do. Which sounded fun. And now it seems to be this is what we have told our players to learn. I'd rather hear the raw sounds we all can make.. and were all new players.. it's not gonna sound perfect. Its everyones first collab by the sounds of it. So I have no idea why were striving for perfection.

I get what Ed's saying. But again.. when we started there was no mention of being told wed be produced. I wouldn't have joined because I dont need that help and I know others could have used that spot. I didn't cause I was told this would be a collection of solos so showcase what our players can do. Which sounded fun. And now it seems to be this is what we have told our players to learn. I'd rather hear the raw sounds we all can make.. and were all new players.. it's not gonna sound perfect. Its everyones first collab by the sounds of it. So I have no idea why were striving for perfection.
@Calvin Phillips , did you miss @Adin Shepherd 's post? Here's the original, posted back in MARCH 14th, where I explicitly outlined the expectations of this project. https://syngates.com/threads/collab-list-speak-now-or-forever-hold-your-peace.3608/

I don't know where your argument is coming from because I DID let people know from the very beginning that one of the commitments to this project was:

"* Learning (beginner) or coming up with your part (intermediate) of the collab and be willing to re-work it if it needs improvement."

Again, you can check my post from MARCH 14th. I have nothing more to say in this argument other than re-iterate to you that it is your choice to either take it or leave it.

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain
Hope the argument is done, please 🙏. It’s been a bit overwhelming reading this whole thread.
We should move on and start working.
I have to say I can’t appreciate enough all the work done by the people leading this project for months.
I am not 100% sure that I can write my part but I am gonna do my best, and if I can’t I will appreciate and humbly accept any help from my captain and peers.
I am sure everyone is going to try their best and do a great job writing, playing and helping each other. It’s beautiful working next to each other and I hope friendship rules in this collab. 💪🤗

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Hey guys ! Sooo, what should we be doing at the moment ? im the lone noob who can’t write lol. I don’t want to get left behind, so to speak. So do y’all have any advice for me ? I saw we are supposed to have group chats set up for our groups along with those overseeing the groups and giving guidance. I know it was mentioned in the beginning if we were not comfortable composing ourselves we would have something to learn. I just want to make sure I’m not falling behind on anything.

carlosmqr

Campfire Attention Holder
    Legend
  • Nov 17, 2019
    Portugal/Manchester UK
    www.instagram.com
    Hey guys ! Sooo, what should we be doing at the moment ? im the lone noob who can’t write lol. I don’t want to get left behind, so to speak. So do y’all have any advice for me ? I saw we are supposed to have group chats set up for our groups along with those overseeing the groups and giving guidance. I know it was mentioned in the beginning if we were not comfortable composing ourselves we would have something to learn. I just want to make sure I’m not falling behind on anything.

Same here xD

• Love
    Reactions: Alicia Willis

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Filip contacted me about my part and i made audio for him. I suppose that thats enough, dont know if im supposed to do anything else (like make video).
    @Alicia Willis i believe its ok if you just do the part that was already written (atleast I did, and it was ok).
    Ah gotcha. I gotta go back and look then. Idk which rhythm was written for the buildup lol.

Reactions: Kim

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ah gotcha. I gotta go back and look then. Idk which rhythm was written for the buildup lol.

Use the timestamps for our section(s) and listen to the backing track. Our section is really simple where it's just the bass guitar doing the C D A progression 3 times for each build up section.

Your Section: build up 1st part - 3:25 - 3:44 (19seconds in total)
    Mine: build up 2nd part - 3:44 - 4:03 (19seconds in total)

I'm doing something fairly simple to go between what you come up with and the chorus:

You could also talk to @Jacques as that's who's playing lead over your rhythm.

Jacques

• Nov 29, 2019
    IL
    Use the timestamps for our section(s) and listen to the backing track. Our section is really simple where it's just the bass guitar doing the C D A progression 3 times for each build up section.

Your Section: build up 1st part - 3:25 - 3:44 (19seconds in total)
    Mine: build up 2nd part - 3:44 - 4:03 (19seconds in total)

I'm doing something fairly simple to go between what you come up with and the chorus:

You could also talk to @Jacques as that's who's playing lead over your rhythm.

Thanks @Alan Carter !! BTW, really like what you did so far with your part!

If we are all OK with what my take 1 was i could write something for you @Alicia Willis . I was contemplating dueling guitars coming into our part, so you could play a harmonzing part to what i did and break off into chords after the dive bomb part. Ill record something this evening to better display what im thinking so far. :)

• Love
    Reactions: Alicia Willis

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks @Alan Carter !! BTW, really like what you did so far with your part!

If we are all OK with what my take 1 was i could write something for you @Alicia Willis . I was contemplating dueling guitars coming into our part, so you could play a harmonzing part to what i did and break off into chords after the dive bomb part. Ill record something this evening to better display what im thinking so far. :)
    Yep that would be great dude. Keep in mind a simpleton 🤣
    But yeah, I literally have no idea wtf to do.

Jacques

• Nov 29, 2019
    IL
    Yep that would be great dude. Keep in mind a simpleton 🤣
    But yeah, I literally have no idea wtf to do.

LOL all groovy!! Neither do I, thats the beauty of it though right? I would say we are still very early in the "beta phase" and there will still be numerous revisions to come. But its fun to hear what people are coming up with initially and how it could possibly combine together!

LOL all groovy!! Neither do I, thats the beauty of it though right? I would say we are still very early in the "beta phase" and there will still be numerous revisions to come. But its fun to hear what people are coming up with initially and how it could possibly combine together!
    Exactly, there will be revisions. We first want to let people come up with their ideas or learn their parts and then we'll refine them together. We gotta take in consideration what comes before and after us.

The only note I would give the build up team at this point, is keep it simple. The build up is setting up the audience for the last chorus, which is the biggest part of the song.

Jacques

• Nov 29, 2019
    IL
    Exactly, there will be revisions. We first want to let people come up with their ideas or learn their parts and then we'll refine them together. We gotta take in consideration what comes before and after us.

The only note I would give the build up team at this point, is keep it simple. The build up is setting up the audience for the last chorus, which is the biggest part of the song.

With that being said, i think im going to rewrite my part a tad bit! Take 2 forthcoming!