• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Coming back to playing guitar.

Can ARI

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Turkey
Hello everyone, I am Can.

I broke my left hand 2 years ago. It was a tough experience, I had to have a surgery. And after that there was a small risk for the I couldn't be able to use my hand again.

But it's almost completely over now. I want to play again. But there is a problem.

I'm trying for two weeks. I'm slow and not clean as I used to be. Those can be fix with practicing. But I can't stretch my finger. My fingers feels so weak and closed. And also I lost all my finger independence. My 3rd and 4th finger moving like they are they are the same finger.

I know 2 weeks is a short time but I was playing 2 years ago . I mean I was a clean and consistent player. I was never a fast shredding solo player I admit but at least I was clean and consistent. Now I can't even properly do a string skipping. And seeing no progress into 2 weeks makes me feel a bit dissappointed.

I need your advices. Has anyone ever be in a same shape. Or can you pretty please gave me some advices. What can I do for progressing faster or even for progressing a little?

Can ARI

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Turkey
First and foremost. WELCOME BACK!

Now...sorry to hear that! I can't imagine how it must feel! I think our member @William had some Physical therapy for his hand. Maybe he has got some experience on the matter. Sorry I cant help.
Thank you so much! Yeah, that feeling when you've heard that you hand maybe not work functionally after surgery. That was so scary.

But it feels good to be back.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Can ARI

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Turkey
Welcome back!

Sounds like a terrible experience but I'm glad to hear that it sounds like it's recovering.

I understand how it's frustrating that you can't do what you could do before but maybe that's still going to come when you try to work it up slowly entirely from the beginning.
Thank you, yes I completely start from beginning lessons again. I'm just hoping to see the progress soon.

Reactions: idssdi

iridecently

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Jun 5, 2020
    Groningen
    Welcome back! Your injury sound horrible, but I am glad to hear you are recovering.

My little tip would be not to be too hard on yourself. Of course it is frustrating that you can't do things you used to be able to, but you are probably still progressing! Maybe not as fast as you would like to (I don't think anybody feels that way), but progress is still happening. Just work your way through the lessons and exercises at whatever pace feels comfortable and maybe revisit some lessons a week or so after you have first completed them. This really helps me see progress in my own playing :)

Reactions: Can ARI

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Welcome back ! I’m sorry you had to go through that and are now dealing with so much frustration.
    You have to remember you did have a significant injury so you may not be able to immediately jump back to where you were before.
    CJ mentioned another student having physical therapy ? Is that something you’ve thought about or have had ?
    I have not experienced quite the same as you, but I did have a spinal surgery that really stopped me from learning and playing for a very long time and when I started again it was like starting all over. I still cannot play very long due to back pain, but when there’s a will there’s a way ! I have no doubts you’ll get back to where you where, it just may take longer than you would like. Hang in there dude !

Can ARI

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Turkey
    Welcome back! Your injury sound horrible, but I am glad to hear you are recovering.

My little tip would be not to be too hard on yourself. Of course it is frustrating that you can't do things you used to be able to, but you are probably still progressing! Maybe not as fast as you would like to (I don't think anybody feels that way), but progress is still happening. Just work your way through the lessons and exercises at whatever pace feels comfortable and maybe revisit some lessons a week or so after you have first completed them. This really helps me see progress in my own playing :)
    Thank you so much .

I'm back to first lessons, some pentatonic excercises on slow tempo. I think I need to calm down mentally. Because after two years I just want to see some fast progressing but its not gonna happen. We'll see after two months probably . :)

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Welcome back! I would say take it slow, and focus on easy but fun things. Easy rhythm songs to jam to. Writing some fun melodies you are capable of playing right now. What I like to do is practice repetetive stuff while watching TV. Sneaking practice time in. Just try and not lose the fun you have playing guitar. I am convinced when you stick to it you can relearn everything :)

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Maybe try a squishy ball and after some slow stretches to help open up the hand. I broke my arm once and after the cast came off the strength was gone and couldn't move it well. I'm not a doctor, but maybe take it easy for maximum healing. :explode-skull:

Can ARI

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Turkey
    Welcome back ! I’m sorry you had to go through that and are now dealing with so much frustration.
    You have to remember you did have a significant injury so you may not be able to immediately jump back to where you were before.
    CJ mentioned another student having physical therapy ? Is that something you’ve thought about or have had ?
    I have not experienced quite the same as you, but I did have a spinal surgery that really stopped me from learning and playing for a very long time and when I started again it was like starting all over. I still cannot play very long due to back pain, but when there’s a will there’s a way ! I have no doubts you’ll get back to where you where, it just may take longer than you would like. Hang in there dude !
    First of all thank you. I didn't had physical therapy but I'm doing some exercises that I saw on the internet on my own.

Sorry to hear that you had surgery too. I can't completely understand what you've been through without living the same things but I can understand partially.

Yeah, I feel like I'm starting all over again with knowing the basics. I'm now in a good shape, I can play at least, there is not much pain left but when I play very long I can feel that there is something in the back of my hand tells me to stop.

But as like you said, when there's a will there's a hope. It'll take long time but I have to accept that. Thank you so much for your kind words again.
    Welcome back! I would say take it slow, and focus on easy but fun things. Easy rhythm songs to jam to. Writing some fun melodies you are capable of playing right now. What I like to do is practice repetetive stuff while watching TV. Sneaking practice time in. Just try and not lose the fun you have playing guitar. I am convinced when you stick to it you can relearn everything :)
    Thank you. Yeah I'm starting from the botton again. Just, practicing practicing practicing . But I'm not rushing anymore, we'll see :)

Can ARI

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Turkey
    Maybe try a squishy ball and after some slow stretches to help open up the hand. I broke my arm once and after the cast came off the strength was gone and couldn't move it well. I'm not a doctor, but maybe take it easy for maximum healing. :explode-skull:
    I never tried that but I'll get it as soon as possible. Cause today it starts hurting a little bit again.

Yeah I'm feeling the same. I can't feel my finger strength at all.

Lucrezia

Music Theory Bragger
    Dec 30, 2020
    Italy
    Welcome back! Oh, so sorry to hear that! I've never found myself in a similar position, so I'll leave the real advice to someone else. The only tip I can give you is: don't give up! Never lose your motivation and I'm sure that, step by step, you'll be able to play again as you used to :giggle:
    Just don't be too hard on yourself, take your time and you'll get there

beatrix

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 19, 2020
    Italy
    Hello everyone, I am Can.

I broke my left hand 2 years ago. It was a tough experience, I had to have a surgery. And after that there was a small risk for the I couldn't be able to use my hand again.

But it's almost completely over now. I want to play again. But there is a problem.

I'm trying for two weeks. I'm slow and not clean as I used to be. Those can be fix with practicing. But I can't stretch my finger. My fingers feels so weak and closed. And also I lost all my finger independence. My 3rd and 4th finger moving like they are they are the same finger.

I know 2 weeks is a short time but I was playing 2 years ago . I mean I was a clean and consistent player. I was never a fast shredding solo player I admit but at least I was clean and consistent. Now I can't even properly do a string skipping. And seeing no progress into 2 weeks makes me feel a bit dissappointed.

I need your advices. Has anyone ever be in a same shape. Or can you pretty please gave me some advices. What can I do for progressing faster or even for progressing a little?
    Welcome Back!! ✨ keep practising, don’t give up, never!! do not rush, take your time🖤🤘

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Welcome back!
    I've never experienced this kind of injury, but physical therapy would be the best thing for you. My mom broke her hand and lost a lot of movement, but with physical therapy sessions and a little patience, it all came back after a while. That's another important thing: you have to give it some time, don't be too harsh on yourself. Practice a little bit everyday, but don't push your limits. If you can't afford a professional therapist now, those internet exercises can be a good thing (just make sure you search reliable sources).
    Hope you have a full recovery soon.
    Keep rocking!