• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Cottontail Functionanalysis

gilles wulf

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey everyone,
I have problems with the function and stage analysis of the piece Cottontail by Duke Ellington. I know all of the chords from the scale and the Bb-7, which should be the double dominant parallel. I hope you understand what I mean because I have translated all the technical terms. I hope someone can help me with the analysis.
Best regards from Hamburg
Gilles
Cotton Tail.JPG

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I took a quick look and from what I can tell there are a couple of ii-v-I progressions present in this. F-7|Bb-7|Eb7 is ii-v-I in Eb and C-7|F-7|Bb-7 is ii-v-I in Bb-7 in Bb minor (?). Try to look for more ii-V-I bits because that's generally what jazz chord progressions revolve around. I don't really have time to look into more detail now but maybe I can take a proper look later

Reactions: Ed Seith
Upvote 0

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I'm not sure what a Double Dominant Parallel is, as I've never heard the term before. But I've done a quick analysis:

/I vi / ii V / (Standard jazz progression 1, 6, 2, 5)

then / iii vi / ii V / (3, 6, 2, 5) - / I / IV #IV diminished - this could be a sub for Bb7 - which would be a V of V - so it's like it skips actually resolving to the V and goes to the / I V / in the next bar.

Then your first ending 1. / V of ii / ii V / 2nd ending / I /

Then it starts this big resolve back to the I by doing some Back Cycling through the Circle of Fifths / V of vi / repeat / V of ii / Repeat / V of V repeat x3 then finally / I vi / ii V / iii vi / ii V / I IV / I V / I - this is basically like a big elongated turnaround to my ear.

Hopefully this made sense and I didn't make too many mistakes for it being 1 in the morning!

Reactions: idssdi and Ed Seith
    Upvote 0