• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Cover song for album, needs license?

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hi, my question is if I want to put a cover of "Unholy Confessions" on my album, how does that work?
    Is it not allowed, do I need permission, pay a fee or what?

I was just wondering cause on some albums I've listened to, there's sometimes a cover song from another band.
    Thanks!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jamie London

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    The copyrights laws are relatively complex and so in short, yes you need authorization to put a cover in your album and monetize it.

and so if it means that you need authorization then you have to find a way to clear the right copyrights. There are some deals that can be made relative to royalties percentages or sometimes distributor have some type of deals.

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    If you want to upload them on Spotify, yes, you definitely need it. Technically, this also applies to YouTube, if you want to monetize there as well, though YouTube's bots are notoriously mentally challenged when it comes to issuing and handling copyright claims (source: my original songs got copyright claimed two times :LOL: ). Though, if you dispute it and prove you have a license, you should be good.

For Spotify, this is easily solved since you have to upload your music via a distributor like DistroKid and you can just tell DistroKid: "hey, this song's a cover, please help me with the cover license".

Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks! I was just wondering.
    It's probably good that I try to write my own songs eventually, I haven't really been doing much of that. Mostly drums practice and guitar when I'm home.

my original songs got copyright claimed two times
    Did they let you know what songs they resembled?
    On YouTube I think it shows that, I don't remember for sure. I do know that it highlights the section of copyright and shows who has the rights.

DistroKid
    I've heard of this before

Upvote 0

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Did they let you know what songs they resembled?
    On YouTube I think it shows that, I don't remember for sure. I do know that it highlights the section of copyright and shows who has the rights.
    They did and they do. But as I was expecting, there wasn't a match for like the 2-3 songs I tested it out for :LOL: .

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0