• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Creating Tension - Lesson 8

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I only realized somewhere last year that songwriting and soloing is really just playing with creating tension and releasing it and made it a little bit more easy for me to solo and write a song(knowing how to create and release it also helps)

Personally I'm mostly a big fan of the 4th, 5th and 3th(I also throw in the 2nd, 6th and 7th sometimes but not nearly as much)

Reactions: Brian Haner Sr.

Rute Rodrigues

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    The things I like about creating tension, is that, for example, you create tension and that makes you feel weird and disconfortable and then you play a "beautiful note" that makes you feel good and relaxed again. @Ids Schiere Personally I love 4ths, 5ths, and 8ths to create beautiful sounds, but I also love 6ths 7ths and 3ths to create weird things. Tension is an amazing thing

Last edited:
    Reactions: idssdi

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    The things I like about creating tension, is that, for example, you create tension and that makes you feel weird and disconfortable and then you play a "beautiful note" that makes you feel good and relaxed again. @Ids Schiere Personally I love 4ths, 5ths, and 8ths to create beautiful sounds, but I also love 6ths 7ths and 3ths to create weird things. Tension is an amazing thing
    8ths don't really create tension though, that's an octave so that's more like the going back home note 😅 i

Reactions: Ezequiel Romanko
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    How i can create tension using double stops?, will work using the 4th and the 5th? or just using the 4th and the 6th at the same time?
    If you pick the right notes in your soul let stops you can create tension. So yes you are correct. I feel like most double stops kinda make me expect more to come after it so It generally is a tension tool for me.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    How i can create tension using double stops?, will work using the 4th and the 5th? or just using the 4th and the 6th at the same time?

Well depends what notes you're linking. You could link a safe note with tense ones and go that route. Or go super tense. Theres even more tension that way. You could do anything with double stops.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Alright.....hold up....Did PG just say Ghost chords? This is taking things to a whole other level.
    When it comes to creating tension I must admit that I still really need to play with my ear. Less pattern obsessed and more melody obsessed.
    At this point I'm guessing you got those patterns down so when you focus more on your melody (which you already do very well) the patterns will help you connect the dots without thinking. Basically you'll be thinking ok where doni wanna go from here and then patterns will connect those dots for you without you even knowing.

• Love
    Reactions: Christian Schulze