• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Custom-S sustainiac issue

Riddick

New Student
Nov 11, 2022
I bought a second hand custom-s which was barely used and in good condition. Everything works apart from the sustainiac. I have replaced the battery with a new duracell one but it was only working in the lower strings. I raised the height and it worked on the b string also now but it still keeps cutting out on the high e string. The only setting that kinda works is the feedback setting in the middle, the sustain and harmonic keep cutting out. Could anyone help?

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
I'm confident I have the answer for you, the sustainiac is probably too far away from the strings.
Proximity matters, there should be some screws on either side of the sustainiac which will raise or lower it. If you can elevate the sustainiac so that it's not so far away (see what I did there? :p), from the strings, the strings will be in the magnetic field and you should be having no problems at that point.

Upvote 0

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Ah ok, I didn't realize you had done that already, now I see you mentioned it briefly there.
Ok, so I have two ideas for you, one is that the sustainiac may be too close? There may be a sweet spot in the magnetic field that you need to have the strings resting in. So plug the guitar in and leave the amp on, start with the sustainiac either maxed or bottomed out, and then gradually change its elevation while constantly testing the sustainiac in all 3 settings.
My other suggestion is that because the high E string is smaller in diameter, it will naturally have less sustain. You might want to try elevating the side of the sustainiac closer to the high E string more than the side that is closer to the side with the low E string. Know what I mean? Like, it might not be level, but it might function better across the 6 strings if the high E side is closer in proximity and the low E side has more space.

Upvote 0
Synner Endless Summer Collection