• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Difference between punk rock chord progression

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Punk is typically very power-chord driven (root note, 5th, and occasionally the octave). It tends to stay away from major or minor tonality even more than mainstream hard rock. "Typical" progressions (I-IV-V, etc) are common, but really, just pick 3 or 4 power chords and see how well they fit together to your ear.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I think you might enjoy this article. Lots of awesome tips and chords charts. Punk is one of my favorites. Not too complicated but hella fun to play !

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    In the Grand scheme of things all chord progressions work the same. Usually what's gender specific is the chords used(gravity has ii-V-I in it but isn't particularly jazz while ii-V-I is very common in jazz for example). In punk these tend to be powerchords and after that it's really free game. Do whatever makes you go 'ooh, this sounds good' and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0