• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Difference in the 12 keys

Al7eX

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Apr 16, 2022
So there is twelve keys. Does the sound in someone’s playing or the emotion they are trying to evoke change with what key they are in? I hear that D minor is considered the saddest key of all. If I play in B minor does it make much of a difference other than the fact that it’s a bit lower on the fretboard?

Reactions: William B.
Solution
To answer the question, I don’t think so. It only changes in relation to other keys your song may also be in. But an entire song in Dm is not going to impart different feelings that it would if it was in Cm or Em.
More often than not, such key changes are done to accommodate a vocalists range or comfort zone.
There are others FAR more versed in music theory that could either agree or disagree, but as a listener, I don’t think this is the case.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    To answer the question, I don’t think so. It only changes in relation to other keys your song may also be in. But an entire song in Dm is not going to impart different feelings that it would if it was in Cm or Em.
    More often than not, such key changes are done to accommodate a vocalists range or comfort zone.
    There are others FAR more versed in music theory that could either agree or disagree, but as a listener, I don’t think this is the case.

Reactions: Al7eX
    Upvote 0
    Solution
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Al7eX

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Apr 16, 2022
    Thanks, I hear so many mixed opinions about this subject. Some say different keys have much different sounds to it others say it is all a myth, Dimebag Darrell says F minor is cool but F# minor is for p*ssies. This definitely clears things up a bit. 🙂

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0