• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Difference Syn custom and Syn standard?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I've always been pretty hesitant about getting a Syn guitar because of the deathbat and syn inlays combined with the pin striped make them very Syn. However, lately I've been very drawn to a particular model/color scheme but it is only available in the standard version so I was wondering whether the differences between the custom model and the standard model are really so big I'm better off saving my money for a possible custom version with the same color scheme or I can just go ahead buying the standard when I will get the money hopefully towards the fall of this year.

As far as specs go that are different
Standard:
-Floyd Rose Special 'Hot Rod' Locking Tremolo (Schecter Exclusive)
-bolt on neck
-Schecter Diamond Synyster Gates Signature Humbucker
-schecter tuners
Custom:
-Set-Neck w/Ultra Access
-Floyd Rose 1500 Series
-Schecter USA Synyster Gates Signature Humbucker
-grover tuners

I own a Schecter Synyster Gates deluxe which basically has the same specs as the standard so what I'm curious about is how much better the specs of the custom are. Especially the pickups, set-neck with ultra Access and grover tuners (I'm actually pretty happy with the floyd rose special on my deluxe) leave me kinda curious. I've never played a guitar with a set-neck so I don't have any comparison material in terms of how big the difference is and the same holds for the pickups and the grover tuners. If somebody could give some input on how these specs compare it would be very much appreciated!

Note: this won't be the next guitar I'll buy but I'm trying to gather info whether I should consider as the second guitar I'll buy from now on 😅

Attachments

• 394215-Schecter-Synyster-Standard-White.jpeg
    394215-Schecter-Synyster-Standard-White.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 276

Cooper Brady

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 2, 2020
    Augusta, Georgia
    If you're gonna buy one, definitely go for the Custom. Way better in every aspect!
    The Floyd Rose Special is the cheapest Floyd and... well, not that great. You'd be pretty disappointed.
    Yeah, I've got an Omen-6 with the FR special. It's very inferior to the 1500. The special breaks too easily and repair costs are stupid for the quality. The custom is worth the extra money to avoid the hassle.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    If you're gonna buy one, definitely go for the Custom. Way better in every aspect!
    The Floyd Rose Special is the cheapest Floyd and... well, not that great. You'd be pretty disappointed.
    Ash, interestingly enough the floyd rose special is the best floating tremolo I've ever owned 😅😅

I guess I gotta hope the white with black pin stripes color scheme will be released as a custom in the future 😅

Reactions: Cooper Brady

Cooper Brady

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 2, 2020
    Augusta, Georgia
    Ash, interestingly enough the floyd rose special is the best floating tremolo I've ever owned 😅😅

I guess I gotta hope the white with black pin stripes color scheme will be released as a custom in the future 😅
    That would be sick. I'm personally saving up for the sunburst with black pinstripes, I love that one. Shame I could never afford one of the custom shop models.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    That would be sick. I'm personally saving up for the sunburst with black pinstripes, I love that one. Shame I could never afford one of the custom shop models.
    Yeah, I'm saving up for a Schecter banshee extreme which is more in my realistic price range at the moment (also floyd roses hot rod special tremolo but for now it has to do).

I always thought Syn's sig models with the pin stripes are too Syn but I find myself coming back to the white with black pin stripes one so I figured if it's a good piece of wood with six strings I may as well buy it when I have the money 😅

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    My Schecter has a set neck and syn pickups. Honestly I wouldn't want anything less anymore. As Ed said, the neck is preference, but a set neck just feels smooth and satisfying. And the syn pickups are really freaking great. Would be a shame to get another syn model but without his pickups. Can't say anything about the floyd though.

Reactions: idssdi

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    As soon as you said “one thats a certain color but a standard” i knew it was the white w/black stripes🤣 honestly i’d go for a custom, yeah its a bit pricier but i cant go back to bolt on neck construction. Thats just my personal preference though man, if you dig it, get it!
    Yeah, it sucks it isn't sold as a custom with that color scheme. My favorite sun custom is one of those usa made models tho but those are ridiculously expensive. I'm the complete opposite from you, i've only had guitars with bolt on construction so I'm kinda used to those(also love strats which I think are usually bolt on)

Reactions: Jesse Salmons

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    My Schecter has a set neck and syn pickups. Honestly I wouldn't want anything less anymore. As Ed said, the neck is preference, but a set neck just feels smooth and satisfying. And the syn pickups are really freaking great. Would be a shame to get another syn model but without his pickups. Can't say anything about the floyd though.
    That's the thing, the both have Syn pickups in it. The Only difference is that one is the diamond series and the other the USA custom and I have no idea what the difference between those really is😅

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    That's the thing, the both have Syn pickups in it. The Only difference is that one is the diamond series and the other the USA custom and I have no idea what the difference between those really is😅
    As far as I know the Diamond series is Schecters a bit lower quality house brand. Can't imagine they can compare to Syn's USA pickups

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Yeah, it sucks it isn't sold as a custom with that color scheme. My favorite sun custom is one of those usa made models tho but those are ridiculously expensive. I'm the complete opposite from you, i've only had guitars with bolt on construction so I'm kinda used to those(also love strats which I think are usually bolt on)
    I got an ad on my facebook showing it, i mean for the price you cant beat it! But what confused the hell out of me is that it has a sustainiac on it, but its a standard lol. And yeah strats are bolt on, i dont think ive ever seen a strat with a set neck. And ive had many guitars with bolt on necks, but when i got used to set necks, woah it was a game changer. I cant go back🤣
    Honestly, after my truck is paid off at the end of this year im probably gonna buy a black and gold custom 😅

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I got an ad on my facebook showing it, i mean for the price you cant beat it! But what confused the hell out of me is that it has a sustainiac on it, but its a standard lol. And yeah strats are bolt on, i dont think ive ever seen a strat with a set neck. And ive had many guitars with bolt on necks, but when i got used to set necks, woah it was a game changer. I cant go back🤣
    Honestly, after my truck is paid off at the end of this year im probably gonna buy a black and gold custom 😅
    Haha, I love playing different kind of guitars because it brings out different playing styles for me. So bolt on or set neck is kind of different things I'd play which is pretty nice.

Ooh, black and gold custom is pretty!