• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Different string tensions set ups with different scaled guitars and how does everyone go about maintaining their prefered setup with these changes.

Mike-666.exe

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Does anyone have a recommend string size they use to keep tension the same to maintain the same setup between different scaled guitars?

its been forever since i've been here god this site has changed.
Anyway so i finally switched over to schector because I i've always wanted a sustainiac so i could cheat dive bombs like syn,

so i upgraded to a banshee mach 7-FRS with the ONE pickup and got it plecked, fucking nasty guitar.

however, being accustom to jackson7, standard didario 10 set (orange pack), love it. found it in a closet. it has a 27 inch scale length.
where as the banshee has a 25.5.
so Using the same strings are impossible for me to play on. Just way too loose like my X...tra guitar and demands a high action.

id like to get my action just as dirt nasty low as my jackson while keeping the same tension.
anyone else ever run into this problem?

i had to sell my children to offord it so I'm hard pressed on not having to keep re setting up the floyd to test strings gauges.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    A 27” scale guitar with the same strings as a 25.5” scale will require more tension to tune to the same note, because the overall length of the string is longer.
    So if you’re using the same strings on both, the 27 will be pulled much more taut to maintain the same tuning.
    If you LIKE the greater tension, keep the same strings and tighten the truss rod to straighten out the bow created by string tension (or have a local guitar tech do a “setup,” which is usually about $50. This will not affect the Plek, which is almost always brilliant.
    If you DON’T like the greater tension, then switch to a lighter gauge of string, so if you have 10s, try 9s. This will reduce the tension and also the pull on the neck, eliminating some more of the now you’re not liking.
    If you have further questions or need something demonstrated with a short video, let me know.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Reading through again, it sounds like you’re used to 10s on a 27” scale and want the same tension on your 25.5. Ernie Ball sells some half gauges you might try, like a 10.5 set.

StringJoy has a great calculator that will help you get close to what you want.

Reactions: William B.

Mike-666.exe

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    i do all my guitar tech myself. i know the point 10.5s match the tension i like i just havent ever used a .5 string set before and thought id look for some feedback thank you!

My issue was the tension on a perfectly balanced floyd rose the action required to be higher due to obvious reasons. but it was much higher than id like.which is pretty much the lowest humanly possible without fretting out.

Reactions: William B.