• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Difficulty with fretting consistency

hades

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Dec 13, 2021
    Hi all, I’ve noticed during practicing that sometimes my fretting is not very consistent. I’m rather new, but it is something I’d like to work on. Ironically I can pick rather accurately without looking even using alternate picking, etc but my left hand isn’t as coordinated. For the most part it is mainly my ring and middle finger, because my index and pinky are pretty accurate but the other 2 will sometimes lift or get in the way. Sometimes they just do their own thing.

Does anyone have any tips or exercises that I can add into my daily practice to get better at fretting accurately consistently?

Reactions: Riff36 and Shade

Shade

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    May 2, 2021
    Cincinnati
    One thing my dad taught me when i first started playing is to start with the first 4 frets, put a finger on each fret and play each note one at a time, once you finish the first string, move to the next. I started playing about a year ago and this is something i do daily and it helps a lot, if it gets so be too simple, then try skipping strings or frets, sometimes you can get lucky and it can help you come up with ideas for a song

hades

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Dec 13, 2021
    One thing my dad taught me when i first started playing is to start with the first 4 frets, put a finger on each fret and play each note one at a time, once you finish the first string, move to the next. I started playing about a year ago and this is something i do daily and it helps a lot, if it gets so be too simple, then try skipping strings or frets, sometimes you can get lucky and it can help you come up with ideas for a song
    Thank you for the advice! I already do the 4 finger exercise but I haven’t tried skipping strings yet. I walk it up and down and even do a staircase shape up and down. I’ll try adding string skipping into it too

Upvote 0

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    1234 exercises will help. Like the one @Shade mentioned but also in different patterns.
    All patterns:
    Screenshot_20220123-174628_Samsung Internet.jpg

Make sure you don't lift your fingers until you need them. So if you're playing 1234, add 2 without lifting 1. Add 3 without lifting 12, and add 4 without lifting 123. Do the same when you move to the next string. I hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Riff36 and Shade
    Upvote 0