• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

DISCO VOLANTE by Mr. Bungle

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
:syngates:Yo family! Wanted to start doing a monthly album discussion based on records that have changed my life and musical path. We are kickin it off with Mr. Bungle’s insanely ambitious sophomore release, Disco Volante.

Jimmy made me a mixtape of some of the most avant-garde shit I had ever heard at 13 years old ranging from Primus, The Residents, Bungle, and beyond.

I HATED this mixtape with a passion for two whole weeks until a small spark of curiosity grew rapidly into a deep and profound obsession.

The mixtape had songs from the previous eponymous record which, as obscure as it was to me at the time, paled in comparison to my first listen of Disco.

Already a huge fan of the band, I did however HATE this record for two whole weeks until a spark of curiosity grew rapidly into a deep and profound obsession.

I was pissed that Patton didn’t sing, Spruance didn’t solo, no clown music etc. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Patton’s vocals and the entire bands performance interwoven throughout a chaotically beautiful and terrifying “soundtrack”, transcended anything I’d ever heard before. One of my favorite song writers of all time, Trevor Roy Dunn, composes masterful and incredibly singable atonal brilliance throughout. The man is nothing short of pure genius in my humble opinion.

I now focused solely on orchestrating my guitar parts with deep sensitivity towards the soul of the song. This gift of perspective was the greatest of any in my musical history.

Like ALL of my favorite things in life, this is an acquired taste, so please, give it time.

All my love,
Syn
:syngates:

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Interesting. I actually never gave that album a try yet. I listened to Mr Bungle and California on repeat for weeks but I guess I never realized this album existed? (Very weird to say). I'll give it a listen tonight and write back how it made me feel and how the musicality worked for me.. thanks for this suggestion!

Synner Endless Summer Collection
    I've been meaning to listen to Mr. Bungle for a while, I really dig avant-garde shit actually!
    My first encounter with avant-garde music was K.U.K.L and Björk, although Björk certainly manages to make it more digestible for a wider audience.
    I do remember hating a collaboration between Diamanda Galás and John Paul Jones when I heard it the first time, that one was for sure an acquired taste. 😂

beatrix

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 19, 2020
    Italy
    :syngates:Yo family! Wanted to start doing a monthly album discussion based on records that have changed my life and musical path. We are kickin it off with Mr. Bungle’s insanely ambitious sophomore release, Disco Volante.

Jimmy made me a mixtape of some of the most avant-garde shit I had ever heard at 13 years old ranging from Primus, The Residents, Bungle, and beyond.

I HATED this mixtape with a passion for two whole weeks until a small spark of curiosity grew rapidly into a deep and profound obsession.

The mixtape had songs from the previous eponymous record which, as obscure as it was to me at the time, paled in comparison to my first listen of Disco.

Already a huge fan of the band, I did however HATE this record for two whole weeks until a spark of curiosity grew rapidly into a deep and profound obsession.

I was pissed that Patton didn’t sing, Spruance didn’t solo, no clown music etc. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Patton’s vocals and the entire bands performance interwoven throughout a chaotically beautiful and terrifying “soundtrack”, transcended anything I’d ever heard before. One of my favorite song writers of all time, Trevor Roy Dunn, composes masterful and incredibly singable atonal brilliance throughout. The man is nothing short of pure genius in my humble opinion.

I now focused solely on orchestrating my guitar parts with deep sensitivity towards the soul of the song. This gift of perspective was the greatest of any in my musical history.

Like ALL of my favorite things in life, this is an acquired taste, so please, give it time.

All my love,
    Syn
    :syngates:
    thank you for sharing us this. and - thank you for inspiring me listening to some new music. I'll give it a listen and tell my thoughts. honestly speaking, i had never listened to this album, much less had i ever listened to the artists. thanks Syn. hope y’having a great time, then. 🥰🥰

Reactions: Syn Gates

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Can't say I'm big into Mr. Bungle apart some of the tracks on the debut album and these new re-recorded songs from the upcoming EP (that shit is HEAVY), but maybe some day I'll get into them more. I know they are a huge inspiration for you guys, so there's obviously something there.

Speaking of Patton, I do like Faith No More quite a bit.

Reactions: Syn Gates

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    You and Jimmy got me into bungle at like.. 13-14 just from watching interviews where you’d bring them up. The first album destroyed my fragile young mind 😂 I loved it and California but it took a good while for me to really truly appreciate disco. Like a couple of years of deep diving into the beautifully bizarre world of Bungle before I could listen to DV from front to back and truly get it. I had my favorite individual tracks like merry go bye bye and after school special but once this album clicks as a whole, and I think for most people it will eventually, it is a musical f’n journey. Absolutely incredible