• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

DISCO VOLANTE by Mr. Bungle

G

Gemma G.S.

I just worked a night shift, but as soon as I take a nap I'm gonna give Disco a listen! I'll admit, even with as much as you guys have mentioned them, I've only ever sat down and listened to maybe a couple of Mr. Bungle songs (one being 'Stubb (A Dub)', which to this DAY makes me cackle) so this will be a great excuse to listen to more.

• Haha
Reactions: Syn Gates

Edward John

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
UK
:syngates:Yo family! Wanted to start doing a monthly album discussion based on records that have changed my life and musical path. We are kickin it off with Mr. Bungle’s insanely ambitious sophomore release, Disco Volante.

Jimmy made me a mixtape of some of the most avant-garde shit I had ever heard at 13 years old ranging from Primus, The Residents, Bungle, and beyond.

I HATED this mixtape with a passion for two whole weeks until a small spark of curiosity grew rapidly into a deep and profound obsession.

The mixtape had songs from the previous eponymous record which, as obscure as it was to me at the time, paled in comparison to my first listen of Disco.

Already a huge fan of the band, I did however HATE this record for two whole weeks until a spark of curiosity grew rapidly into a deep and profound obsession.

I was pissed that Patton didn’t sing, Spruance didn’t solo, no clown music etc. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Patton’s vocals and the entire bands performance interwoven throughout a chaotically beautiful and terrifying “soundtrack”, transcended anything I’d ever heard before. One of my favorite song writers of all time, Trevor Roy Dunn, composes masterful and incredibly singable atonal brilliance throughout. The man is nothing short of pure genius in my humble opinion.

I now focused solely on orchestrating my guitar parts with deep sensitivity towards the soul of the song. This gift of perspective was the greatest of any in my musical history.

Like ALL of my favorite things in life, this is an acquired taste, so please, give it time.

All my love,
Syn
:syngates:
Any chance of you doing a discussion for Silver Side Up?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Allan

Rebecca Brotherston

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Thanks to you and Jimmy I have listened to Mr. Bungle’s self-titled album, it’s crazy but I love it. But to be honest I have never listed to Disco Volante for some reason. Will listen to it tonight and report back! Thanks for the recommendation @Syn Gates, I am always looking for new music to listen to. Looking forward to your future recommendations.

Synner Endless Summer Collection
J

Jak Angelescu

I have to be honest, last year was when I learned you were into Mr. Bungle, I was like "Okay, hell yeah I'll take a listen!"
I heard "Squeeze Me Macaroni" and have never been more confused. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

While I can definitely appreciate the theatrics of their style, I couldn't ever listen to them regularly. :confused::confused:I listened to the first three songs of this album and I can appreciate how they go from one style of sound into the next effortlessly. But for me the appreciation stops there.

But it's interesting to me. I look at who my idols are and I look at who they look up to, and I'm always like "What?" I hardly ever get into the same artists my guitar heroes love.

beatrix

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 19, 2020
    Italy
    :syngates:Yo family! Wanted to start doing a monthly album discussion based on records that have changed my life and musical path. We are kickin it off with Mr. Bungle’s insanely ambitious sophomore release, Disco Volante.

Jimmy made me a mixtape of some of the most avant-garde shit I had ever heard at 13 years old ranging from Primus, The Residents, Bungle, and beyond.

I HATED this mixtape with a passion for two whole weeks until a small spark of curiosity grew rapidly into a deep and profound obsession.

The mixtape had songs from the previous eponymous record which, as obscure as it was to me at the time, paled in comparison to my first listen of Disco.

Already a huge fan of the band, I did however HATE this record for two whole weeks until a spark of curiosity grew rapidly into a deep and profound obsession.

I was pissed that Patton didn’t sing, Spruance didn’t solo, no clown music etc. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Patton’s vocals and the entire bands performance interwoven throughout a chaotically beautiful and terrifying “soundtrack”, transcended anything I’d ever heard before. One of my favorite song writers of all time, Trevor Roy Dunn, composes masterful and incredibly singable atonal brilliance throughout. The man is nothing short of pure genius in my humble opinion.

I now focused solely on orchestrating my guitar parts with deep sensitivity towards the soul of the song. This gift of perspective was the greatest of any in my musical history.

Like ALL of my favorite things in life, this is an acquired taste, so please, give it time.

All my love,
    Syn
    :syngates:
    What the hell! dude i’m listening to the album and- THAT’S GENIAL. woah. again thank you for this recommendation. i’m absolutely loving it. absolutely perfect. - WOAH!!!

Last edited:
    • Love

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    I have to be honest, last year was when I learned you were into Mr. Bungle, I was like "Okay, hell yeah I'll take a listen!"
    I heard "Squeeze Me Macaroni" and have never been more confused. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

While I can definitely appreciate the theatrics of their style, I couldn't ever listen to them regularly. :confused::confused:I listened to the first three songs of this album and I can appreciate how they go from one style of sound into the next effortlessly. But for me the appreciation stops there.

But it's interesting to me. I look at who my idols are and I look at who they look up to, and I'm always like "What?" I hardly ever get into the same artists my guitar heroes love.
    That's pretty much where I'm with them too. There might be a riff in a song where I go "damn, this kicks ass", but then 5 seconds later it turns into a fuckin spaghetti bowl hahahah.

I get what they're trying to do, it's just not for me. Then again, I listen to other music that a lot would deem completely unlistenable, so I can't judge it for that haha.

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Bungle is a group I've always wanted to dive into, but never have. That's right, I have literally never heard a single Mr. Bungle song. That will change today on my bike ride. This album will be in the buds. I'll report back. Thanks, Syn!
    Both hands on the handle bars and if ur bike comes with a seat belt buckle up:rainbow-mushroom:

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    I definitely think it is interesting to say the least haha. I don't know exactly how to feel about it if i am being honest with everyone. I know that i need to give it another chance, seeing that the last time I listened to it was probably, oh man, over a month ago.
    Give it another 20 chances. It’s worth it. Like i said, I was bummed when it dropped. Even as a super fan of the self titled

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Silver side up? I love sunny side up off Sol Invictus. If you meant Silver, teach me some shit
    Wow. Syn, the Syn, actually replied to my Nickelback joke, I'm honoured.
    But seriously, we should do a Nickelback discussion, my man, what do you say? His tone is as brutal as yours.

Last edited:

Nicholas Hayles

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hey, Brian. This album is the most chaotic thing they've made I think. I love it. I'm trying to get a friend who loves California to hear this and the self-titled album. She doesn't like too much crazy haha

btw, my mom is better than your mom and your dad, too.