• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Do the pros ever get frustrated?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Both of them have said as much at different times. Sometimes you need to either take a break for a few days, or shift gears to playing/learning something completely different to get your head back to calm. Anxiety and tension are the enemies of the guitarist trying to build technique.

Ashley Willis

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Georgia, USA
    Both of them have said as much at different times. Sometimes you need to either take a break for a few days, or shift gears to playing/learning something completely different to get your head back to calm. Anxiety and tension are the enemies of the guitarist trying to build technique.
    That’s very true. My grandfather always told me the best way to learn to play guitar is to put it down. Doesn’t make sense until you get frustrated and put it down for a few days. Then you’re itching to get back to it with a renewed interest and enthusiasm. I’m 35 now and began teaching myself at 12 and even took several years off between stints of playing.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I think learning how to guitar is a similar experience for everyone, pros and beginners alike. Learning something new is frustrating no matter at what skill level you operate, as long as you're having fun and keep enjoying playing you'll be fine and learn how to play as good as the pros do.

Also breaks are important, sometimes I practice something for hours everyday for a week, then not play that thing for a couple days and I magically play it better than I did before.

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    IMO frustration comes hand in hand with learning, anything you learn in life. And how you deal with that frustration is key in your progress. Guitar is a life long learning, that's why no matter which your level is, you'll feel frustrated for a while, even pros, then put your guitar down and some time later fall in love again with the instrument feeling more proficient and self confident.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    I know all of us here are trying to learn and better ourselves at guitar. That inevitably brings a lot of frustration and 4 letter words. I wonder if the pros such as Sun and Papa Gates ever get pissed off trying to play or learn something and just have to put it down for a while like I do?
    Syn reall gets frustrated...youtube some a7x stuff and syn keeps messing up....lol he cusses a lot

Reactions: Ashley Willis