• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Does my picking technique hurt my hand?

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    My hand hurts since yesterday from wrist towards pinky at the back of my hand. I recently changed my picking technique. Before that I anchored my pinky down on the guitar. When I looked at this video I did notice that I tilt my hand up a bit, I don’t know if I always do that but I’m not sure if it’s alright.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I don't think so, but everyone is different, and if your body is yelling at you, it's up to you to figure out if it's saying "I'm not used to this, so I'm going to give you pain until I *am* used to it" or "I fucking hate this and you're going to pay in pain until you stop."

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I don't think so, but everyone is different, and if your body is yelling at you, it's up to you to figure out if it's saying "I'm not used to this, so I'm going to give you pain until I *am* used to it" or "I fucking hate this and you're going to pay in pain until you stop."
    You're right. Thanks. I'll keep trying this for a while. I think my hand is fine right now

Upvote 0

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I used to anchor my pinky ALL the time. (I still do on certain things) but when I made the effort to try and stop, I too experienced that pain. Wasn’t awful just a little nag and it was gone in like week. So I think Ed’s advice is spot on. Changing up anything even a little bit can cause some discomfort but if it’s extremely pain and your body is yelling at you, definitely stop.

OskarF

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    It looks good. Are you tense when playing? When working on new techniques that are difficult, i often notice my whole body being very tense. Try to be very mindful about that, espsecially all the small muscles in your arms and hands that might be tensing up.

Other than that, i'll share some of my thoughts on alternate picking technique:
    What really made me get my technique going was when i realized specifically what muscles to activate to pick efficiently, and i remember that it started making sense to me when i noticed how Eddie Van Halen does it because it's very apparent how he is rotating his forearm back and forth when tremolo picking. He obviously has very unconventional technique, but the principle worked really well to apply to my own alternate picking technique, and i honestly believe this is how every fast picker does it, fundamentally, even though it can look very different from player to player.
    You'll know what i mean if you try to just kind of shake your forearm by rotating back and forth (i think it should make sense what movement i'm talking about by looking at Eddie in the video clip i linked), and you'll notice how fast you can make that movement without much effort at all. Those are the muscles you need to be aware of using to alternate pick and the rest of your arm should be relaxed. The more relaxed, the less discomfort/pain you will experience.

Of course these are just my thoughts and just what works for me and i might be wrong :) But i'd really suggest looking into it and see if it works for you!

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    It looks good. Are you tense when playing? When working on new techniques that are difficult, i often notice my whole body being very tense. Try to be very mindful about that, espsecially all the small muscles in your arms and hands that might be tensing up.

Other than that, i'll share some of my thoughts on alternate picking technique:
    What really made me get my technique going was when i realized specifically what muscles to activate to pick efficiently, and i remember that it started making sense to me when i noticed how Eddie Van Halen does it because it's very apparent how he is rotating his forearm back and forth when tremolo picking. He obviously has very unconventional technique, but the principle worked really well to apply to my own alternate picking technique, and i honestly believe this is how every fast picker does it, fundamentally, even though it can look very different from player to player.
    You'll know what i mean if you try to just kind of shake your forearm by rotating back and forth (i think it should make sense what movement i'm talking about by looking at Eddie in the video clip i linked), and you'll notice how fast you can make that movement without much effort at all. Those are the muscles you need to be aware of using to alternate pick and the rest of your arm should be relaxed. The more relaxed, the less discomfort/pain you will experience.

Of course these are just my thoughts and just what works for me and i might be wrong :) But i'd really suggest looking into it and see if it works for you!
    I don't think I was tense but I will pain attention to the muscles next time. Thanks!

Reactions: Alicia Willis