• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Does Tone Affect the Quality of a Cover?

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Well Bad Audio quality will make your Video Look unprofessional. Besides that, If it's Just your Tone from your amp you still can Go places. They say Tone is in the fingers and it's true. That's why Zack wylde can kill it on a Hello Kitty guitar and The Dooo slays it on a Squier.
    It also works the other way around. Give a beginner who has been playing for a Couple of Month Studio quality Gear and an expensive Gibson, music man or whatever. If they try to Play a Syn solo without Vibrato the Gear won't make them Sound professional either.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I do fundamentally believe tone is in the fingers so all you can really do is get ball park tone. Audio quality is just the difference between professional and unprofessional really.

For example, for avenged you need a high gain tone but doesn't nececarily have to be a copy of Syn's and this counts for everything else. Most of the time I just watch for gain levels and change nothing else about my settings when I record a cover, I mean it's me playing it isn't it?

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I do fundamentally believe tone is in the fingers so all you can really do is get ball park tone. Audio quality is just the difference between professional and unprofessional really.

For example, for avenged you need a high gain tone but doesn't nececarily have to be a copy of Syn's and this counts for everything else. Most of the time I just watch for gain levels and change nothing else about my settings when I record a cover, I mean it's me playing it isn't it?
    “It’s me playing it, isn’t it” — absolutely love this !

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    As others have said, there's a big difference between tone and audio quality, so I won't get into that.

Sticking with tone, however, I can tell you that I have 4 basic tones: super clean, clean with a little breakup, heavy rhythm, and lead. Just about everything I do is with one of those four tones. I have continued to work on them, tweaking, etc, but I NEVER customize a tone for a cover.

And the funny thing is, the same tone that I used for a ripping lead I also used for the solo in "Mother" by Pink Floyd, and there were a couple comments on that post that I "nailed the tone."

It was my "standard lead tone," and had about as much in common with what David Gilmour used as a Hershey bar has in common with jelly beans.

Moral of the story - tone is there to inspire YOU, the player, to get into the moment and play your very best. Most people can't really tell the difference and besides, an awful lot of what people call "tone" really is in the fingers.