• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Double jointed pinky finger?

The Raven

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
So I've been working hard with a friend and practicing together with him to get both of us better at playing and up to speed. But we both have made a discovery.

We are both double jointed in our pinky finger.

We've been noticing our pinky will lock up a lot and refuse to move, or if it does it moves to the wrong position making playing with it nearly impossible for fast songs.

Anyone know any way around this or any exercises that might help?

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
It sounds like its weak but I don't think it means its double jointed. Mine used to lock up but I also never used it ever. I'm getting better control over the past 2 years.

I also dunno much about double joints ad i have none. I'd imagine there be advantages as well.

Saoirse Byrne

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
UK
My pinky fingers are also kinda stiff and click when i bend them for some reason and sometimes lock up too when playing. I’m not sure it’s the same as double jointed but the pinky is definitely a bit less agile because of this. Honestly I used to almost never use my pinky but since making an effort to use it and learning songs that require it I’ve seen an improvement for sure. But i think practice and exercises can over come most problems like that. So tbh the best thing to do would be to just use it more i think 🤷🏼‍♀️ This video helped me, the hammer ons using different fingers as an exercise is great for building strength.

Reactions: carlosmqr

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
My pinky fingers are also kinda stiff and click when i bend them for some reason and sometimes lock up too when playing. I’m not sure it’s the same as double jointed but the pinky is definitely a bit less agile because of this. Honestly I used to almost never use my pinky but since making an effort to use it and learning songs that require it I’ve seen an improvement for sure. But i think practice and exercises can over come most problems like that. So tbh the best thing to do would be to just use it more i think 🤷🏼‍♀️ This video helped me, the hammer ons using different fingers as an exercise is great for building strength.
I was this way. Never used it. I now use it every chance I get but I still refer to old habits higher up the fretboard. Realistically.. your ring can reach 5 frets. And when you want more then 5 frets in a jump.. makes more sense to just up a string and over 1. The pinky I find is for faster runs and triplets going further then 5 to 7 frets.

Synner Endless Summer Collection