• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Drop D on a floating trem

mingus

One Stringer
Nov 26, 2019
Los Angeles
I have a Charvel dk24 hh with a Gotoh 510 trem, and I wanted to know how much I should adjust the tension to tune down to Drop D. Ever since I tuned down to Drop D, my tuning stability hasn't been all that great, especially around the G and B strings and I wanted to know if i should ever so slightly adjust the tension and if that would fix that. I'm using Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom .10-.52. I'm really new to doing any adjustments on guitars, and due to the current pandemic can't take it to a guitar tech. Thanks in advance for any help!

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    No, you don't need to adjust anything for that little a difference. However, you do need to retune the whole guitar. I don't know that you have a stability problem as much as not realizing that tuning one string a whole step differently upsets the balance and requires retuning the whole guitar.

No neck or bridge adjustments, though.