• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Drop D or E standard for guitar theory?

Christian Pettersen

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey hey!
So i have recently gotten into guitar theory, like learning the names of the different notes on the frets, scales, chords etc. Usually i play in Drop D and i have a Floyd rose floating bridge so tuning up and down can be a bit of a hassle(fucking annoying). So what should i learn guitar theory in, E standard or Drop D.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Theory is theory, regardless of the tuning, but it does change shapes you use on the guitar. Papa’s theory lessons are all in standard tuning, so you’d have to adapt. It might be a little harder that way, at first, but if Drop D is your preferred tuning, it’s probably better to do the adaptation up front. That’s just an opinion, though. YMMV.

J

Jak Angelescu

I think it’s important to learn in E standard tuning for theory first. You miss out on important aspects like how the CAGED system actually works. Not to mention it’ll be impossible to transcribe that concept to drop D tuning. The CAGED system comes in massive handy for finding positions you can solo with and over which chords. I think drop tuning is an added effect and shouldn’t be the basis of how you actually learn the guitar. Hate to tell ya man, but you better get over the “it’s a bitch to tune” thing because eventually it’ll get to a point where it’ll have to be tuned by unlocking it and using the key. It’s a part of having a Floyd Rose. You can do what you want, but ultimately you’re losing out on learning a lot of cool stuff like open chords and single barres. You’re also going to have a really hard time in a jamming situation if the other guitarist is playing in standard tuning with chords and you don’t know what chords they are. You will have no idea what to play 😘😘

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Alan Celis

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    well theory in drop D you can just play the same notes as you do on the other D string, but maybe thats just me hahaha, i already took the drop D lifestyle since i also have a floyd rose as my main guitar(the only one i put new strings on hahaha)
    Having it tuned in drop D can give you advantages and disadvantages
    +you can play a low D and Eb chord while in E standard you cant
    -some riffs originally written in standard are harder to play while in drop tuning