• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Drum Samples on City of Evil?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
In all honesty I'm pretty sure it's the Rev playing there so an actual human performance instead of samples.

You can of course look for isolated drums teams and try to resample the snare if that's what you want to go for.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Of course Jimmy was playing, but triggered "reinforcement" has been the norm since the mid-90s. I remember there being some controversy about Dream Theater's Images and Words (1992) because there was triggered reinforcement on it, and that was almost 30 years ago. I remember talking with one of the engineers on that album, and he said in the end there were like 120+ tracks of just drums in the final mix. So I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least some triggered reinforcement on CoE.

That said, those triggers would not make up the entire drum sound, and so might not be what OP is looking for. He might need to try and find an isolated snare hit on the album and sample it himself.

Reactions: chris_is_cool

Laur Trandafir

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
  • Nov 11, 2019
    www.youtube.com
    In all honesty I'm pretty sure it's the Rev playing there so an actual human performance instead of samples.

You can of course look for isolated drums teams and try to resample the snare if that's what you want to go for.
    Well they're blended, both samples and human performance. It's most obvious in Beast and the Harlot at the breakdown, the kick and snare are almost perfectly consistent. Either that or he's just an absolute drum machine

Laur Trandafir

• Nov 11, 2019
    www.youtube.com
    Of course Jimmy was playing, but triggered "reinforcement" has been the norm since the mid-90s. I remember there being some controversy about Dream Theater's Images and Words (1992) because there was triggered reinforcement on it, and that was almost 30 years ago. I remember talking with one of the engineers on that album, and he said in the end there were like 120+ tracks of just drums in the final mix. So I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least some triggered reinforcement on CoE.

That said, those triggers would not make up the entire drum sound, and so might not be what OP is looking for. He might need to try and find an isolated snare hit on the album and sample it himseIf.
    I could try that, but I think it's pretty difficult to find a portion of just the isolated snare. I'll look around though

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Well they're blended, both samples and human performance. It's most obvious in Beast and the Harlot at the breakdown, the kick and snare are almost perfectly consistent. Either that or he's just an absolute drum machine
    Well, based on live performances I'm fairly sure he is. That's what a great drummer is supposed to be anyway.
    As far as I know samples are used to make the sound thicker. There's no way there's a snare sound exactly like coe unless somebody already sampled it off of city of evil.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Well, based on live performances I'm fairly sure he is. That's what a great drummer is supposed to be anyway.
    As far as I know samples are used to make the sound thicker. There's no way there's a snare sound exactly like coe unless somebody already sampled it off of city of evil.
    Triggers are used in concert performances, too. The only way to know if someone is truly beastly is an in-the-room recording. Yes, Jimmy was beastly, and I noticed back in the day that his timekeeping and consistency seemed to improve drastically from WTF to CoE.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Triggers are used in concert performances, too. The only way to know if someone is truly beastly is an in-the-room recording. Yes, Jimmy was beastly, and I noticed back in the day that his timekeeping and consistency seemed to improve drastically from WTF to CoE.
    Yeah, I think in all access it was mentioned that Murdock kinda forced him to record to a click so mu have something to do with that. From all the live recordings I've seen he always was on point except when he got pepper sprayed but the amsterdam police because he killed a pigeon 😅

Laur Trandafir

• Nov 11, 2019
    www.youtube.com
    Yeah, I think in all access it was mentioned that Murdock kinda forced him to record to a click so mu have something to do with that. From all the live recordings I've seen he always was on point except when he got pepper sprayed but the amsterdam police because he killed a pigeon 😅
    LOL when did that happen?

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    As I recall, Andy Wallace layered several different snares over the Rev's original snare on COE. How much of the original snare sound that is actually heard depends on the song. Rev always had a great snare sound that changed with each song. It always fit the vibe. My guess is you can still hear a lot of his snare on COE.
    In general, some layering is done to enhance, while some layering ends up completely taking the place of the original snare.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019

That said, those triggers would not make up the entire drum sound, and so might not be what OP is looking for. He might need to try and find an isolated snare hit on the album and sample it himself.
    Watching Rick beatos viseos I caught some videos of andy Wallace mixing. I believe he adds his own samples on top the drum tracks. And overlaps them. Making them sound POWERFUL.

You can watch Andy Wallace mix "Natural Born Killer" and "Doing Time" on Mix with the Masters. My favorite mixer mixing my favorite band?..TOTALLY worth the money, I learned quite a lot!! I have been mixing like mad for the last 18 months and used a sample for the first time today lol. The snare sounded like a tin can so I had no choice.

I get my multi tracks from cambridge but does anyone know where else to get decent tracks to mix? Maybe one day by the grace of God Avenged will release some raw tracks with Warren Huart or Glenn Fricker 🙏. Those breakdowns were pretty bad ass too, greatly appreciated, forr shorr!