• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Easy Drop D songs

Cedric L

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Germany
This Means War - Avenged Sevenfold (except the solo... That's fuqn hard)
Given Up - Linkin Park
Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - Green Day
MAYBE -> Last Resort - Papa Roach? The riff isn't that easy but it repeats constantly. So if you can play that the song is easy too.

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Rammstein has some easy Drop D songs. Sonne is in Drop D and really easy. The riff to Freur Frei is a bit fast initially but once you figure out the riff slowly and build up some speed it's really fun. Learning the full song initially felt like a workout initially especially to my non calloused fingers. It was one of the first riffs I learned in the first 3 months of playing that really got me ecstatic because it was one of my favorite Rammstein riffs. Killing In The Name of by Rage Against the Machine is also fun and really groovy!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spoonman - Soundgarden
    Joker & The Thief - Wolfmother
    This Means War - A7X

I will add more as I think of them.

There are a bunch of Alice In Chains, Soundgarden and Linkin Park songs in drop D (although AiC and LP are normaly tuned down an additional half step)
    Alice in chains isnt dropped d they are half step down and then dropping half step down. If there are drop d songs there are very few of them..

It's possible the newer stuff with will is but I know the early stuff was more half step down. But they could be played in drop d.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Alice in chains isnt dropped d they are half step down and then dropping half step down. If there are drop d songs there are very few of them..

It's possible the newer stuff with will is but I know the early stuff was more half step down. But they could be played in drop d.

Not sure what you mean by half a step down and then dropping a half step down? If you mean drop D tuned down a half step, I had already pointed that out in my post.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Not sure what you mean by half a step down and then dropping a half step down? If you mean drop D tuned down a half step, I had already pointed that out in my post.
    Drop d flat c sharp. The ones dropped are their power chord songs. We die young.. them bones. I used to play a lot of their songs and I could do them all half step down. All ofnjar of flies is half step too. I think dirt is all half step but first 2 songs. Facelift may have some dropped. I know jerry was a huge blues guy.

Conor Mason

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hermitage, Pennsylvania- USA
    There are a few. Some artists will do a drop tuning after lowering their guitar anywhere from a half step flat (Van Halen, Linkin Park, Alice in Chains, etc) to 2 steps flat like Pantera, Dream Theater in certain songs. Are you comfortable down tuning your guitar? If not, that's totally cool. Here are a couple I can think of that aren't too difficult to learn with straight-ahead, tight riffs that are in the pocket and a hell of a lot of fun to lay. Some bands like Linkin Park or Three Days Grace do almost all their songs in a drop D style tuning. Mark Tremonti is like this as a riff-writer in all of his bands. I LOVE Killswitch Engage! They tune down one whole step from standard, commonly known as D Standard then lower the 6th string to C. So heavy! Their stuff is crazy fast and tight, so that may or may not be where you are comfortable with as a player. If so, go for it! If you can only handle standard drop D, no worries.

-Fuel "Running Away"
    -Foo Fighters-Everlong
    -Linkin Park- Numb and In the End (tune down a half step flat from standard, then do a drop to Db)
    -Three Days Grace- most of their stuff, haha! My favorite is Never Too Late
    -Crossfade- Cold
    -Soundgarden-Black Hole Sun.

I can think of more, but that's quite a bit of material to get started with! Cheers!

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Sum 41 has some songs in drop D as well.

To find new songs in a certain tuning I usually go through a list on songsterr.com That shows the difficulty too
    Sometimes the “difficulty” level on songster is misleading.....at least to me 😂
    Side note, I didn’t know you could search there via tuning 🤦🏼‍♀️

Reactions: Lindsey