• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Economy or alternate

Solution
Hello Janiru. My main picking is alternate because my teacher used to taught me with reference of Paul Gilbert (string skipping, 2NPS, octave arpeggios). I used to play Buried Alive with Paul Gilbert style, it is possible but not as smooth as Syn style, and it is so hard. Lol..

I still mostly pick alternate, but I try to learn eco with A7X songs, and I always put 1 of A7X song every month in my daily practice. Now my picking are mostly alternate, but sometimes naturally I use eco if necessary. Based on the patterns.

In conclussion, I used to pick purely alternate, but now I use both alternate and eco, whatever I like to use. I dont have any special practice for eco, I only practice it from A7X song, which I put in my daily practice.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hey Janiru 😊 Merry Christmas to you too!

I'd put your effort into being able to utilize both tecuniques, as mastering only one will limit your playing in another way etc 👌

For example, you could alternate pick flawlessly and still find it near impossible to play most of Syn's solos due to their economic/sweeping nature.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
    Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Hello Janiru. My main picking is alternate because my teacher used to taught me with reference of Paul Gilbert (string skipping, 2NPS, octave arpeggios). I used to play Buried Alive with Paul Gilbert style, it is possible but not as smooth as Syn style, and it is so hard. Lol..

I still mostly pick alternate, but I try to learn eco with A7X songs, and I always put 1 of A7X song every month in my daily practice. Now my picking are mostly alternate, but sometimes naturally I use eco if necessary. Based on the patterns.

In conclussion, I used to pick purely alternate, but now I use both alternate and eco, whatever I like to use. I dont have any special practice for eco, I only practice it from A7X song, which I put in my daily practice.

Upvote 0
    Solution

John-Robert Rueda

One Stringer
    Nov 11, 2019
    I agree with what everyone has said so far, learn both. You'll probably notice that each picking style sounds different. Eco sounds a bit more "smooth" whereas alternate is more "punchy." If you're proficient at both thats more skill you'll have in your tool belt to pick from when you wanna make stylistic decisions.

Upvote 0

JANIRU

Music Theory Bragger
    Jul 12, 2021
    Thank u everyone for ur suggestions!!
    I couldn't come online the past week.
    Thing is, here i am practicing sweeping and fast alternate runs etc, but dang, i can't use any of them when I'm playing live(for family)😂i just realized this cuz we jammed at Christmas

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection