• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Economy pick or alternative pick??

Pablo De Miguel

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    I´ve seen in some places that is better to practice economy pick because you are practicing sweep picking and alternative picking at the same time, but i´ve seen in the lessons that Papa Gates start focusng on alternative picking and then he start teaching economy picking.
    What should I do, master alternative picking and then economy picking or maybe I can practice the both techniques at the same time????

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I would go for both because for me economy picking only works for me when there is an oddys number of notes per strinog and since you probably sometimes need to play 1 an even number of notes per string it is nice to have some alternate picking Skills too

Cedric L

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Germany
    I first learned Economy Picking. But many people say that you should first learn Alternate Picking.
    I think you can learn both at the same time. Change the technique in every solo like Ids said. There are solos which are better for Alternate (like Scream) and there are solos for Economy (like Hail To The King).

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Hector Trejo

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Houston, TX
    I’d learn alternate picking first and then add economy picking to your tool belt! A bit hypocritical for me to say though because for some odd reason, when I’m going from the low to high strings, I alternate pick. When I go from high to low strings, I economy pick. I didn’t even know I had that habit until a few years ago.