• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Economy Picking Confidence

D. Asher

Campfire Attention Holder
Jun 8, 2021
So I've been learning Avenged Sevenfold songs for a few months now as I'm beginning to feel my guitar theory is at a good enough level that I can, however slowly, perform the techniques in these solos. But something that seems to be a problem for me recently is going into any economy picking run that starts on a note and then instantly goes to the next string (thinking Nightmare and Shepherd of Fire). I can economy pick, and once I get into it I can really pick up some speed, but I have so start slow otherwise I hesitate and play the note over and over before going into the run. If anyone has experienced this or has any sort of tips for trying to get rid of this it would be much appreciated 🤘🤘

Riff36

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Jan 2, 2022
    🇸🇬 Singapore 🇸🇬
    I used to have that habit too. What i did everyday was discipline myself for atleast 5-10min doing spider training up and down the neck and across the neck focusing on my right and left hand coordination With 60-80bpm as a start. Now without realising I’m doing descending in economic and ascending in alternate picking unless im going for a 3 note triplet or 3 note sweeping . Hope this help. 😅🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🤘✊

Last edited:
    Reactions: D. Asher

Riff36

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Jan 2, 2022
    🇸🇬 Singapore 🇸🇬
    I used to have that habit too. What i did everyday was discipline myself for atleast 5-10min doing spider training up and down the neck and across the neck focusing on my right and left hand coordination With 60-80bpm as a start. Now without realising I’m doing descending in economic and ascending in alternate picking unless im going for a 3 note triplet or 3 note sweeping . Hope this help. 😅🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🤘✊
    I have heard lots of players talk about the spider pattern, I'll give it a go for a while. Thanks for the help 🤘🤘

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Honestly I dont even ask myself "should I eco or alternate pick this" I just play what i wanna play and whatever happens happens. I think in training and practicing you ask yourself that but once your playing it atleast to.me should be the last thing you ask yourself. Your body will adapt and do what feels comfortable regardless of how someone else plays it.

Reactions: Riff36

Riff36

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Jan 2, 2022
    🇸🇬 Singapore 🇸🇬
    Honestly I dont even ask myself "should I eco or alternate pick this" I just play what i wanna play and whatever happens happens. I think in training and practicing you ask yourself that but once your playing it atleast to.me should be the last thing you ask yourself. Your body will adapt and do what feels comfortable regardless of how someone else plays it.
    True that. 💯 % agree. Its called Muscle memory. 🤘🙌🙌🙌🙌🐰🐇🐇🐇🐰

Upvote 0