• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

EDDIE VAN HALEN TRIBUTE CONTEST ANNOUNCED!

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    The Struggle is real. I love this though. Its showing the process behind the entire deal. Well done Wildcat!
    It is, but it's been so worth it!! Thank you CJ!!

The running commentary and the way you talk to yourself (and your fingers) is adorable, and I mean that in the very best way possible.
    Thank you, Ed!! Though I don't know why I do it, it does seem to keep me focused and stops me from getting too frustrated when I mess up by keeping things light-hearted!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    Alright, I hope you wonderful people are ready to have a good laugh at my Pretty Woman and also feel more inspired to participate! Hi! I’m Rowan and I’m a beginner, sort of.
    While studying some of my favorite musicians, I noticed the use of some finicky ego risers and decided to use one myself to try to channel some of my favorite rock gods’ mystical powers. I was super nervous and as always this is raw/unedited footage.
    Of course this is for the contest and I made a fool of myself obviously, but I honestly hope this makes some of you feel inspired and want to post. Even if this video makes you go “Wow, at least I’m not that bad. 🤣” or “If she can do that craziness, maybe it won’t be so bad if I post this little riff.”
    Thank god, Jimmy, and Eddie for not letting me fall and bust my ass. ☺😅 Please enjoy! And please get your submissions in!
    That was pretty good..and you didnt fall😂

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    To be honest, it's when I wake up on the 24th. It's been up for like 3 weeks with the deadline posted at the top of the home page with the announcement. I'm really busy tomorrow so I have to dedicate at least an hour to this first thing when I wake up.
    Get it in, ASAP
    it's 11 pm now where i am the 23rd, i uploaded 2 of my videos onto my laptop and don't know how to put them back on my phone to edit them nicely. i can record the last part i want to add now and maybe mix it with youtube editor. I don't know how to use it yet

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I said lesson 31, but I meant lesson 91 - Fingerstyle. There's a lot more going on in this song than it sounds like, and there are a couple of different guitars playing really against each other in ways they usually don't in metal music, so kudos Ed. But that, coupled with a crazy week at work, and having to find a tone for this and the tone being lower volume than expected in the recording and a hundred other excuses, BUT - this is one shot and done. One take and go, so it is what it is. Have a laugh on me, it's Friday night. Party on, dudes!

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019

tried to do it, kept messing up. i keep hearing my nose, my avatar got damaged
    i needed to rest a lot these past few weeks, could have done a lot better
    was planning on combining 3 videos.
    i like my beat it video better, i learned it by ear and just heard the song one time before i made the video ( heard it a lot as a kid )
    wanted to share my progress and how i approached it
    gp5 tab from UG
    i did a tapping lesson and hybrid picking lesson here but can't remember when. those are helpful, but i did already know how to do it somewhat. wanted to add my annular finger to go faster, hadn't worked out the patterns yet. the pull-off lick around the start feels a bit weird going fast than 50%

Last edited:

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Here's my addition to the tribute. This has been a hell of a learning experience haha. First time recording video of myself playing, first time dedicating this much time and frustrating amounts of effort to learn a riff/intro. First time I've also voluntarily put myself in front of a camera in quite a few years too now that I think about it. Eddie's playstyle is pretty different compared to other guitarists I've been focusing on learning from like Joe Duplantier, Mark Morton, James Hettfield, bits of Dime, and of course Syn. They've got similar traits but Eddie of course stands out in his playstyle. A few notable techniques I really had to work on to get to even this point were my tapping skills and hammer ons/pull offs. The intro is the first piece I've "learned" that uses tapped harmonics which took a while to pick up finally, only to realize that the harmonics I liked and was using for the intro didn't sound at all like the intro actually sounds. I also realized that my hammer on technique was rather sluggish and not very accurate as you can tell haha. I thought I had learned the parts I filmed and was mostly just perfecting it only to realize this morning that it didn't sound right. I was missing a couple of notes that messed up the flow of the song. I already had that area learned with muscle memory which was a pain to relearn. Still haven't quite got it yet. For a first upload it's not great. Bummed notes, some flat bends, a lack of vibrato, really awful attempts at a volume swell and whatever else I messed up. But it's not the end of the world I guess no matter how much it felt like it when recording multiple takes all 8 hours I worked on it initially today. Gotta start somewhere. Gonna take a day long break from guitar to ease up on my finger tips and I think I'm gonna dedicate some time to learn how to properly use a metronome and start using it more often. Goddamn was my timing terrible haha.

Jacques

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 29, 2019
    IL
    Here is mine full of mistakes and i think a half second behind timing on the solo 😅 Also bonus string breakage include as well!

I would like to think i could have made a better take but there is a lot of tricky work to be done! I love what Eddie brought to this song with all the wild embellishments, its super fun to play and will keep working on it!