• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

EDDIE VAN HALEN TRIBUTE CONTEST ANNOUNCED!

Nickstib

Free Bird Player
Jun 15, 2020
Pa

So I know I already entered a clip of this song but this thread got me hooked on trying to learn more of it. I re hit the tapping lessons (because I just havent been able to get good at that ever) and now trying to do the last solo in dreams I finally got it to sound like something. I dont care which submission counts for the contest, just wanted to share my update of a week of progress jamming out to this song. Maybe I had alittle EVH spirit fingers come pay me a visit.

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Damn, almost forgot all about this.

Initially this was going to be a progress video, but I am not sure I will get the time to polish before the deadline. Now it will become my submission, terrible timing and all 🤟

This is the first riff I think of when I hear the words Van Halen, and it has a little bit of just about everything in it, palm muting, bends, vibrato, slides, pinch and natural harmonics, power chords and triads.

Last edited:

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
Apr 18, 2020
Cologne, Germany
Alright, so this is gonna be my final contribution. Still some major fuckups, but it's not gonna get better in two days, and at least I'm pretending to play to a metronome :ROFLMAO: .

I first started learning this song way back in May, when I was playing for just 2 months and could barely switch between open chords. I thought, "hey, he is just playing some single notes, that should be easy, right?"... Yeah, right... Back then, it kicked my ass at about 30% of the original bpm. It's 5 months later and the song still kicks my ass at 80% of the original speed, as you can see.
But I learned a lot from the song, about the natural minor scale, its diatonic chords, about arpeggios, alternate picking and string skipping (I think EVH actually uses economy picking for the riff, but I stuck with alternate), hammer-ons and pull-offs and most importantly, his palm muting game is ridiculous.

The solo in this take turned out much less clean as I hoped for, but I'm leaving it in anyway. Still need some work until I can get the fast lick at the end to sound as fluid as the original. :ROFLMAO:

As a little bonus, to give a little feeling for my progress, here is me from 5 months ago, grinding the riff at literally 40 bpm:

Luis Falcon

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Monterrey, NL
www.youtube.com
Guess what....

This has become a CONTEST. And yes, it was Syn's idea. Not mine. I'm just doing the Devil's bidding. :skull::skull:Which means it's legit, which means you all can't fart around. We have beginners who can barely arpeggiate a chord kicking serious ass. If they can do it. So can all of us!

Here's the details:

Requirements for Entry: Play any part of any Van Halen song at any tempo. Even if you fuck it up. Just do it. It's not about being perfect or PERFORMING. It's about DOING. IT CAN BE RHYTHM OR LEAD. Seriously.. even if you figure out ONE chord and play it and submit it. You'll be qualified.:rock-hand:

Deadline: Saturday October 24th

Prize: To be announced and arranged by @alexj

I will be the one to pick the winner. And don't worry. I'm going to choose the one that gave the best attempt with the best spirit. I don't give a shit if you tap Eruption while standing on your head. If I see someone giving more passion and heart and UMPH into what they're doing than you, they'll win.

****POST YOUR SUBMISSIONS IN THE COMMENTS BELOW. DO NOT POST INSTAGRAM VIDEOS OR I WILL CHARGE YOU A FEE OF 5 CHOCOLATE BARS FROM ITALY AND A BOX OF RESCUE KITTENS****

FINAL NOTE: Please please PLEASE don't write me on Instagram asking questions about this. Please keep it on the school. If you do, I will change your name to "Dominik Graeber Is The Best Guitarist Ever."
AND- You will get bonus points if you can cite which lessons from this fabulous school that you utilized to either help learn something by ear or to help with a technique!

Here are some that would be good to get you started: Beginner Section - The Caged System (Eddie uses chords based off the CAGED system for a lot of riffs)
Intermediate - The Blues Section or Pentatonic Solo Pattern
Advanced - Tapping (duh)

:syngates:Feel free to jostle around and have fun! Love you guys!! Let's ROCK!

Jak
Hello!! My Name is Geral Falcon
This is my cover ERUPTION by Van Halen!!

Thanks SYN For the lessons guitar!

Enjoy!! ;)

Synner Endless Summer Collection

RoaringRowanThunderBender

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Warrenton, NC
    rowm76.wixsite.com
    Alright, I hope you wonderful people are ready to have a good laugh at my Pretty Woman and also feel more inspired to participate! Hi! I’m Rowan and I’m a beginner, sort of.
    While studying some of my favorite musicians, I noticed the use of some finicky ego risers and decided to use one myself to try to channel some of my favorite rock gods’ mystical powers. I was super nervous and as always this is raw/unedited footage.
    Of course this is for the contest and I made a fool of myself obviously, but I honestly hope this makes some of you feel inspired and want to post. Even if this video makes you go “Wow, at least I’m not that bad. 🤣” or “If she can do that craziness, maybe it won’t be so bad if I post this little riff.”
    Thank god, Jimmy, and Eddie for not letting me fall and bust my ass. ☺😅 Please enjoy! And please get your submissions in!

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Alright, I hope you wonderful people are ready to have a good laugh at my Pretty Woman and also feel more inspired to participate! Hi! I’m Rowan and I’m a beginner, sort of.
    While studying some of my favorite musicians, I noticed the use of some finicky ego risers and decided to use one myself to try to channel some of my favorite rock gods’ mystical powers. I was super nervous and as always this is raw/unedited footage.
    Of course this is for the contest and I made a fool of myself obviously, but I honestly hope this makes some of you feel inspired and want to post. Even if this video makes you go “Wow, at least I’m not that bad. 🤣” or “If she can do that craziness, maybe it won’t be so bad if I post this little riff.”
    Thank god, Jimmy, and Eddie for not letting me fall and bust my ass. ☺😅 Please enjoy! And please get your submissions in!
    At least you posted it! I mean just in fearlesness you win. Jimmy and Eddy would celebrate just that! Thanks for encouraging all beginners!!!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I love the riser and the fact that you posted it is awesome!

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Hey peeps!! Finally managed to record my attempts for the Jump solo as my submission! First, I'm just gonna apologise for how long it ended up being, I got pretty excited as I was getting so much closer to my lil goal and got carried away lol!
    I've always wanted to properly get into tapping, I posted a video when I first joined the school of my brief attempt and never really returned to it, but this contest really motivated me to give it another go! Plus, I wanted to work on my hammer ons and pull offs too, so why not do both?!
    I feel like with all this, I've gotten so much better at an area I really struggled at before, even if it's still not perfect!
    Other little goals for me now are to get that damn triplet feel down for the tapping section, so time to get the metronome out for that! Also gonna work on actually linking the two sections together, and then eventually doing the first half of the solo! Also, hammering on with my pinky, especially when stretching, in a major thing I wanna get right, as it'll mean getting some real strength up in there!
    Alright, enough rambling, I hope you guys enjoy my tribute!!

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Hey peeps!! Finally managed to record my attempts for the Jump solo as my submission! First, I'm just gonna apologise for how long it ended up being, I got pretty excited as I was getting so much closer to my lil goal and got carried away lol!
    I've always wanted to properly get into tapping, I posted a video when I first joined the school of my brief attempt and never really returned to it, but this contest really motivated me to give it another go! Plus, I wanted to work on my hammer ons and pull offs too, so why not do both?!
    I feel like with all this, I've gotten so much better at an area I really struggled at before, even if it's still not perfect!
    Other little goals for me now are to get that damn triplet feel down for the tapping section, so time to get the metronome out for that! Also gonna work on actually linking the two sections together, and then eventually doing the first half of the solo! Also, hammering on with my pinky, especially when stretching, in a major thing I wanna get right, as it'll mean getting some real strength up in there!

The Struggle is real. I love this though. Its showing the process behind the entire deal. Well done Wildcat!

• Love
    Reactions: Matt Wildcat

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com

I made this video a couple of day ago. Cathedral has always been one my favorite solo guitar pieces by Eddie. I love the simplistic way he used the delay for accompaniment. He was the greatest innovator on the guitar ever! RIP

That was awesome. Next-level volume knob game, too!

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
    Apr 18, 2020
    Cologne, Germany
    Such an important message, and a super dope video! 😁🤩

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com

The running commentary and the way you talk to yourself (and your fingers) is adorable, and I mean that in the very best way possible.

• Love
    Reactions: Matt Wildcat