• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS by Danny Elfman

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
:syngates: Yo family! Alright, this completes my Danny Elfman trifecta. Edward Scissorhands is quite possibly the most touching collection of music I’ve ever heard. I walked down the aisle to Ice Dance at my wedding. The flawless execution of the boys choir - I’ve read both that he used children’s choir and that he used an all boys choir. Maybe someone can dig around for the truth - takes me to a place that no other music can.

Like all of these Elfman recs, please please please visit or revisit these movies. They’re all masterpieces and will shift your perspective both artistically, and realistically.
:rainbow-mushroom:

This is Tim Burton’s most intimate work to date. He drew Edward Scissorhands as a young man before he started working as an artist for Disney in reflection of himself; an outcast.
:skull:

Thus concludes Danny Elfman month. Probably my number one hero, a man deserving of multiple recognitions. A man who changed the course of my life, musically, artistically, and helped to create the strongest bonds with those I love the most.
:pink-heart:

Please enjoy

All my love,

SYN
:syngates:

Spotify
Apple Music
YouTube

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Oh hell yeah!! We're really being treated this month! I need to go and watch this movie, it's another that I've just never gotten round to, but after how much I enjoyed seeing Beetlejuice for the first time last night, I'm making this a priority! I shall return with my thoughts once I've watched it and given the soundtrack a thorough listen-to. Thank you so much, Syn!!! 🤘 💀🤘

Batbia

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 11, 2021
    Brazil
    Wow I have to say I wasn't expecting THREE albums this month but I'm loving it 😻 (a good geek gotta love a trilogy you know 😹)
    I'm going to listen to this one and I'll come back later with all my reviews since I couldn't write anything yet because I've been fangirling about BATMAN since I listened to it (I'm still fangirling to this day 😹)
    Thank you so much for all this recommendations! :rock-hand:

Last edited:

Aquamandy

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Brazil
    Woah, three in a row 😮 I wouldn't mind if you do this more 😁👀
    By the way, I'm already excited since Batman Soundtrack was the AOTM that messed with my feelings the most, so still having Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands will be so delightful to hear 🤗
    And when I hear it, I'm gonna come back here, of course 🤩

Thank you for taking your time and pulling the triple duty! 👏

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    :syngates: Yo family! Alright, this completes my Danny Elfman trifecta. Edward Scissorhands is quite possibly the most touching collection of music I’ve ever heard. I walked down the aisle to Ice Dance at my wedding. The flawless execution of the boys choir - I’ve read both that he used children’s choir and that he used an all boys choir. Maybe someone can dig around for the truth - takes me to a place that no other music can.

Like all of these Elfman recs, please please please visit or revisit these movies. They’re all masterpieces and will shift your perspective both artistically, and realistically.

This is Tim Burton’s most intimate work to date. He drew Edward Scissorhands as a young man before he started working as an artist for Disney in reflection of himself; an outcast.

Thus concludes Danny Elfman month. Probably my number one hero, a man deserving of multiple recognitions. A man who changed the course of my life, musically, artistically, and helped to create the strongest bonds with those I love the most.

Please enjoy

All my love,

SYN

Spotify
    Apple Music
    YouTube
    OMG wowww Syn another one!! 👀 haha my mind will explode with so many beautiful memories !! I love Edward scissorhands, I saw it in my childhood and it influenced me a lot, it was really incredible! thanks Syn! 😍 🙌 🙌

Synner Endless Summer Collection

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    YOU ARE ON FIRE, MISTER! hahahaha
    And, again, I am so so soooo happy because (I am gonna mention it again for the 100th time lol) Edward Scissorhands is my fav movie, alongside Beetlejuice! 🖤💜💚
    Like I was telling @Jamie London yesterday: two days ago, I went to sleep listening to this soundtrack. Of course, I'm gonna listen to it again now and come back with my notes.
    It's gonna be a very emotional ride for me hahaha see ya soon! ❤

The Trash God

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Jan 2, 2021
    New Mexico
    www.instagram.com

Please enjoy

All my love,

SYN

Spotify
    Apple Music
    YouTube
    This just brings back meories of when I first saw the movie. I was completely blown away by it as a kid, I can still vividly remeber the soundtrack. Rewatching this movie and relisteming to the soundtrack will be a great way to spend the day!!

• Love
    Reactions: Syn Gates

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    Ok. Got my coffee, some chili, and some good headphones.

Introduction-Great way to start it off. Love the choir. Very eerie.
    Storytime-Beautiful strings. This theme was definitely revisited for the Sleepy Hollow score. It's very dreamlike. I love how he can make you go from content to uncomfortable in the span of a few notes. Haunting choir.
    Castle on the Hill-Love the brass. Again. Going from light to dark. I love that. And like I said in my review of "Batman" the choir and strings at times reminds me of "The Wicked End".
    Beautiful New World/Home Sweet Home-Very uplifting and jaunty then resolves to something peaceful.
    The Cookie Factory-There's the Danny Elfman we all know. Lol. Love the weirdness so fucking much. And French horn is always a plus.
    Ballet De Suburbia-Sounds like Pee Wee. At times it sounds like the music that people use to parody 1950's educational videos. If that makes any sense.
    The Ice Dance-I've always loved this track. Just very dreamy and the choir is beautiful.
    Etiquette Lesson-Ah. This sounds like Lacrimosa by Mozart.
    Edwardo The Barber-Typical bouncy feel to an Elfman score. Love all the different parts of the orchestra piggy backing on each other. I can't describe what the ending feels like. I wanna say salsa but I don't think that's right. Maybe the word is tarantella.
    Esmeralda-Well that was quick. The strings kinda mimic an organ.
    Death!-Beautiful sweeping strings. Kinda has shades of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" at times.
    The Tide Turns-There's that weirdness again. Very urgent feel. While it does have some French horn, it could always use more. Very heavy second half. Love all the brass.
    The Final Confrontation-This has a little bit of everything. Heavy, light, and everything in between.
    Farewell-Again. Love the brass. Needs more French horn. Reminds me of Saturn from the planets towards the end.
    The Grand Finale-Just beautiful from start to finish. The sweeping strings, the choir, the brass. Just perfection.
    The End-Love what the choir is doing. Great way to finish the score.

Final thoughts-Needs more French horn but there weren't any waltzes so overall, it's a damn fine score to an amazing movie.

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    I'm back and, well, I have a lot to say about this AOTM rec too... 😅
    This whole soundtrack has a whimsical charm. 💫❄ Like I told @Jamie London, it's so dreamy, magical and hauntingly beautiful. And I am not lying, it makes me VERY emotional. When I was a child, I would watch this movie so much (it was always airing on the Brazilian main TV channel), and I would get really hyped up every time. Also, I relate to Edward so much, because I always felt like a weirdo, a misfit kid.

My review:
    Introduction (Titles): that's the perfect way to open. It makes you feel like you are entering a new, magical world. The violins are so beautiful and the voices combined with them make the perfect harmony, and I think this song sets the atmosphere you are about to experience in the movie.
    Storytime: this one has this dreamy vibe, and it's such a soothing song, but, at the same time, it's kinda sad, and it makes me emotional.
    Castle On The Hill: more haunting, which matches the vibes of the place Edward was created. It's also a kinda sad song. There's this thrilling vibe going on, that makes you wonder what's about to come. You feel a little afraid, but, at the same time, curious to see what's ahead. Such an epic song! Really breath-taking.
    Beautiful New World/Home Sweet Home: at first, it gives me that exciting feeling, like I'm about to live a great adventure, but then it gives this sense of hopelessness and that something is missing, and that I need to find what it is.
    The Cookie Factory: things feel adventurous again and you start to get ready to find new things, but, by the end of the song, that hopeless feeling come again. What is Edward supposed to do now?
    Ballet De Suburbia (Suite): this song makes me get that energy and adventurous spirit back again!
    Ice Dance: first, I must say, what a perfect choice of a song to walk down the aisle to! It must have felt so magical to you and Michelle! ❤ I love this song so much! The scene is so touching, and I love what it represents (in my perspective): Edward is this weird, innocent, naive being, but he is also so unique and capable of doing so many beautiful things, and change another person's world and view about what true beauty is.
    Etiquette Lesson: I love how Mr Elfman knows exactly where to fit the choir, without over using it and lose the magnificence of all the instruments.
    Edwardo The Barber: oh, I can clearly see this scene in my head while the song is playing 😂 Edward did such great hairstyles, and made all the ladies fall in love with him 😂 by the middle of the song, when things get faster, wow! It makes my heart race and my breathing heavy. And the end makes me calm down again. Hahaha
    Esmeralda: it has some sneaky vibe.
    Death!: so sad... you can feel Edward's loneliness.
    The Tide Turns (Suite): sounds like the perfect theme for someone who's out there determined to get their revenge. So thrilling! Epic!
    The Final Confrontation: those cymbals in the song are exactly what it was needed to give it an extra powerful energy.
    Farewell: I get dreamy vibes again, and also you can feel a little bit of sadness too.
    The Grande Finale: comforting and magical vibes all over. And it keeps getting more powerful as the song goes on, turning into this epic song, ending in a very soothing way that makes your heart warm.
    The End: the perfect way to finish this whimsical journey and leave you with the impression that you just had the most beautiful and magical dream. 💫

It was a wildly emotional ride, Syn, for sure! I am very fond of the movie and the main character. Thanks for, again, bringing back so many of my childhood memories. And thank you for spoiling us so much this month. You are truly the best. I love you. ❤

J

Jak Angelescu

One thing Elfman seems notorious for is the ambiguous singing with choirs. They say nothing, but say everything. In ESH, the music made you feel both the magic and the sadness. And Sleepy Hollow? Nuff said🤩🤩 that was my personal favorite sound track of his work.

When I first heard this song below, it reminded me of something Danny would have done. If anyone cares to listen. It's been one of my favorite meditation songs for years now.

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Omg, Edward Scissorhands. SO MANY MEMORIES 😭😭😭
    This soundtrack is absolutely breathtaking, I get goosebumps everytime I listen to it.
    Here are my favs (even if every single track is just brilliant!!):
    "Castle on the Hill" is probably one of the tracks that I'm most familiar with and the one that immediatly gives me some flashbacks of some of the movie's scenes. I love its continuous changes and the choir...truly beautiful!
    "Ice Dance"... Man, so full of emotions..and just imagining the scene where Kim dances in the ice, her absolute joy in doing so, it gives me a bittersweet feeling knowing how it's going to endend but at the same time, it's so dreamy. It's possibly my favourite song of the entire soundtrack. (Also, great choice to walk down the aisle 😍)
    "Edward The Barber" Ah, I absolutely love this track and it always put a smile on my face because I can't help but to think of the scene associated when he turns hairstylist😂 "that was the most thrilling experience of my whole life" 😂
    "Death" this track and this scene. The combination gets me every time..the inventor's death..it's so heartbreaking 😭
    "Grand Finale" it's dark, haunting, magical and freaking beautiful. Always makes me cry, always.
    "End" perfect song to end this incredibly beautiful movie. Really really love it, there is nothing more I could say.

Thank you Syn for bringing back all of those memories and feelings.💚 What a great movie and what a great soundtrack, again Tim Burton and Danny Elfman make an absolutly great team!!

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    The flawless execution of the boys choir - I’ve read both that he used children’s choir and that he used an all boys choir. Maybe someone can dig around for the truth - takes me to a place that no other music can.
    That's what I've found Danny Elfman said about that:
    "I’ve always enjoyed using some kind of choir, or the boys’ soprano soloist; there’s just something about the sound of children that particularly gets me.
    I don’t know what made me want to use children’s voices other than telling the story and telling the fairy tale."

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Oh my god. As promised, I went ahead and watched the movie first this time before going over the soundtracks alone and it is honestly one of the most beautiful, emotional, heartbreaking but incredible movies I have ever had the joy of watching. I knew many said it was a sad one, but damn was I not prepared for that. Truly a masterpiece, and the music had such a HUGE impact on it. It really carried everything and more. Absolute masterpiece.

And now, for my thoughts on some favourites:

1. Introductions - I love that piano to start with, gives a real spooky vibe. The choir is fantastic! It's a perfect way to set the film! Fantastic atmosphere, really out of this world.

2. Storytime - Ugh, just utterly beautiful. It gave me chills while watching the movie. The choir just makes it so much better too, and I love how it develops as it progresses, much how a story does. Gentle, beautiful intro, rising middle, conclusion, etc. Extremely fitting (I forever want to be read stories with this in the background LOL)

4. Beautiful New World / Home Sweet Home - I said this about Beetlejuice, but how is this in the same film? So upbeat and cheerful, I love the juxtaposition! 0:48 is beautiful. Really feels like such a change and something new while still retaining that style.

5. Cookie Factory - Perfect for a factory vibe with the overpowering horns and their rhythm. Then the section at 0:52 has just that quirky little melody thing that I love! 1:07 with that change. The ending changing like that is gorgeous, gave me a feel of a long hard working day coming to an end, y'know?

6. Ballet De Suburbia - The tick-tock sound is awesome, feels like we're on the move to get a lot of stuff done - Not enough time in a day! I love how it stays all the way through, too. The piano melody hidden at the ending section really just made me so happy for some reason.

7. Ice Dance - I see exactly why you'd want this played at your wedding! It's such a beautiful piece, has some serious magic to it. Thing is, I'd heard it outside of the film before and always thought it was just incredible - I had no idea of it's origins! If anything, it just makes it even more amazing, and this was easily one of my favourite scenes in the whole movie. Such a wonderful moment.

8. Etiquette Lesson - Oh man, right in the feels. It's just got this sad vibe to it that gets me. The harps, the violins that set the rhythm, everything. One of my favourites for sure.

11. Death - Haunting and solemn. Really captures the scene and the feeling. 1:19 got me and not gonna lie, I got emotional. It's such a beautiful piece - Hauntingly beautiful. There I said it. 2:42, don't do this to me, I'm sad enough. (Also, do a few bits from Ice Dance keep coming back, because I swear it does and it's honestly amazing)

12. The Tide Turns - Oh, it really does. Gives a real sense of danger and panic, everything's going all wrong! The percussion used really dives that home too with the wind instruments. 1:28 is really cool because it keeps the general theme with softer instruments leading the way. 2:14 and the drop just makes your heart sink. It's almost like a point of no return? And the buildup with the violins before the horns come in! 4:09 scared me, the sudden shift really does panic you, as it should. 5:00 is like fight or flight.

14. Farewell - It's a really emotional piece - It's still haunted by the events before it, but god damn does it pull at your heartstrings. It really does feel like saying goodbye to the one you love. Also, the lines from the film absolutely killed me: "Goodbye" "I love you". Oh man. Stop with the onion slaughter.

And that's what I've got to say! I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and don't even think to make me pick between this and Beetlejuice (Though I think I'd say this one, the emotions just got me real good). I'm so fucking glad to have finally watched this movie and been blessed to hear such a wonderful soundtrack. In fact, these three AOTMS have been my favourites because there's so damn much, and Danny is just a complete genius. @Syn Gates , thank you SO MUCH for such incredible recommendations! I feel like I've been fucking enlightened. Cheers!! 🤘 💀 🤘

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    Finally I can sit down to listen to this incredible and unique album of one of my favorite movies, that brings to my mind some beautiful memories... and listening to the whole soundtrack makes me nostalgic and makes me want to cry, there are no words to describe the beautiful emotions it brings me.🙌❤️

Here we go! My Fav ❤️ 🙏

1- Introduction (Titles): It's so magical and unique, like a fairy tale... this introduction is magnificent and at the same time brings a touch of sadness.... too beautiful.

2-Storytime : The voices are sweet and melodic, they create a harmony without any waste... it's like closing your eyes and dreaming.

3-Beautiful New World / Home Sweet Home: This one is really Beautiful! When Edward after being in so much loneliness, finally his face is filled with an immense happiness of a new world!!! ❤️

4-Cookie Factory: This song couldn't be better, it expressed Edward's deepest thoughts, his vague memories in his mind, the scene where his creator symbolized the idea of giving life to Edward!!!! I love it!!!:cry::love:

5-Ice Dance: OMG this song makes me cry ☹️, it's so beautiful, it brings beautiful memories to my mind! It is majestic, unique and a complete masterpiece. A mixture of beauty and tragedy at the same time.

6-Etiquette Lesson: This melody that shows the scene where Edward is an artificially created human who is almost completed! Tim Burton is a genius!!!

7-Death: Too sad and beautiful. The Inventor scene makes me cry whenever I watch the movie... so Heartbreaking💔☹️

8-The Final Confrontation : It's so intense and powerful, to have such an angelic and beautiful ending.

9-The End: It makes me so nostalgic... this song touches my soul! Hands down for Danny Elfman and Tim Burton!🙌❤️

@Syn Gates THANK YOU so Much!!! for so many beautiful memories! ❤️This last one made me cry! Lol🤯... it's a very symbolic movie for me and the soundtrack is fuckin unique, sad and wonderful at the same time! Obviously I will watch this great movie again and again! ✂️✂️ Love ya!! 🤘❤️

Last edited:

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    One thing Elfman seems notorious for is the ambiguous singing with choirs. They say nothing, but say everything. In ESH, the music made you feel both the magic and the sadness. And Sleepy Hollow? Nuff said🤩🤩 that was my personal favorite sound track of his work.

When I first heard this song below, it reminded me of something Danny would have done. If anyone cares to listen. It's been one of my favorite meditation songs for years now.
    Wow, thanks for that introduction, an amazing piece of music!

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Finally I can sit down to listen to this incredible and unique album of one of my favorite movies, that brings to my mind some beautiful memories... and listening to the whole soundtrack makes me nostalgic and makes me want to cry, there are no words to describe the beautiful emotions it brings me.🙌❤️

Here we go! My Fav ❤️ 🙏

1- Introduction (Titles): It's so magical and unique, like a fairy tale... this introduction is magnificent and at the same time brings a touch of sadness.... too beautiful.

2-Storytime : The voices are sweet and melodic, they create a harmony without any waste... it's like closing your eyes and dreaming.

3-Beautiful New World / Home Sweet Home: This one is really Beautiful! When Edward after being in so much loneliness, finally his face is filled with an immense happiness of a new world!!! ❤️

4-Cookie Factory: This song couldn't be better, it expressed Edward's deepest thoughts, his vague memories in his mind, the scene where his creator symbolized the idea of giving life to Edward!!!! I love it!!!:cry::love:

5-Ice Dance: OMG this song makes me cry ☹️, it's so beautiful, it brings beautiful memories to my mind! It is majestic, unique and a complete masterpiece. A mixture of beauty and tragedy at the same time.

6-Etiquette Lesson: This melody that shows the scene where Edward is an artificially created human who is almost completed! Tim Burton is a genius!!!

7-Death: Too sad and beautiful. The Inventor scene makes me cry whenever I watch the movie... so Heartbreaking💔☹️

8-The Final Confrontation : It's so intense and powerful, to have such an angelic and beautiful ending.

9-The End: It makes me so nostalgic... this song touches my soul! Hands down for Danny Elmfam and Tim Burton!🙌❤️

@Syn Gates THANK YOU so Much!!! for so many beautiful memories! ❤️This last one made me cry! Lol🤯... it's a very symbolic movie for me and the soundtrack is fuckin unique, sad and wonderful at the same time! Obviously I will watch this great movie again and again! ✂️✂️ Love ya!! 🤘❤️
    Thanks for the deep dive on this! I love your thoughts, I feel a lot of the same things as you when I listen❤️

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Oh my god. As promised, I went ahead and watched the movie first this time before going over the soundtracks alone and it is honestly one of the most beautiful, emotional, heartbreaking but incredible movies I have ever had the joy of watching. I knew many said it was a sad one, but damn was I not prepared for that. Truly a masterpiece, and the music had such a HUGE impact on it. It really carried everything and more. Absolute masterpiece.

And now, for my thoughts on some favourites:

1. Introductions - I love that piano to start with, gives a real spooky vibe. The choir is fantastic! It's a perfect way to set the film! Fantastic atmosphere, really out of this world.

2. Storytime - Ugh, just utterly beautiful. It gave me chills while watching the movie. The choir just makes it so much better too, and I love how it develops as it progresses, much how a story does. Gentle, beautiful intro, rising middle, conclusion, etc. Extremely fitting (I forever want to be read stories with this in the background LOL)

4. Beautiful New World / Home Sweet Home - I said this about Beetlejuice, but how is this in the same film? So upbeat and cheerful, I love the juxtaposition! 0:48 is beautiful. Really feels like such a change and something new while still retaining that style.

5. Cookie Factory - Perfect for a factory vibe with the overpowering horns and their rhythm. Then the section at 0:52 has just that quirky little melody thing that I love! 1:07 with that change. The ending changing like that is gorgeous, gave me a feel of a long hard working day coming to an end, y'know?

6. Ballet De Suburbia - The tick-tock sound is awesome, feels like we're on the move to get a lot of stuff done - Not enough time in a day! I love how it stays all the way through, too. The piano melody hidden at the ending section really just made me so happy for some reason.

7. Ice Dance - I see exactly why you'd want this played at your wedding! It's such a beautiful piece, has some serious magic to it. Thing is, I'd heard it outside of the film before and always thought it was just incredible - I had no idea of it's origins! If anything, it just makes it even more amazing, and this was easily one of my favourite scenes in the whole movie. Such a wonderful moment.

8. Etiquette Lesson - Oh man, right in the feels. It's just got this sad vibe to it that gets me. The harps, the violins that set the rhythm, everything. One of my favourites for sure.

11. Death - Haunting and solemn. Really captures the scene and the feeling. 1:19 got me and not gonna lie, I got emotional. It's such a beautiful piece - Hauntingly beautiful. There I said it. 2:42, don't do this to me, I'm sad enough. (Also, do a few bits from Ice Dance keep coming back, because I swear it does and it's honestly amazing)

12. The Tide Turns - Oh, it really does. Gives a real sense of danger and panic, everything's going all wrong! The percussion used really dives that home too with the wind instruments. 1:28 is really cool because it keeps the general theme with softer instruments leading the way. 2:14 and the drop just makes your heart sink. It's almost like a point of no return? And the buildup with the violins before the horns come in! 4:09 scared me, the sudden shift really does panic you, as it should. 5:00 is like fight or flight.

14. Farewell - It's a really emotional piece - It's still haunted by the events before it, but god damn does it pull at your heartstrings. It really does feel like saying goodbye to the one you love. Also, the lines from the film absolutely killed me: "Goodbye" "I love you". Oh man. Stop with the onion slaughter.

And that's what I've got to say! I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and don't even think to make me pick between this and Beetlejuice (Though I think I'd say this one, the emotions just got me real good). I'm so fucking glad to have finally watched this movie and been blessed to hear such a wonderful soundtrack. In fact, these three AOTMS have been my favourites because there's so damn much, and Danny is just a complete genius. @Syn Gates , thank you SO MUCH for such incredible recommendations! I feel like I've been fucking enlightened. Cheers!! 🤘 💀 🤘
    Amazing!! So deep, thank you! Love your take on the arrangements and instrument choice. He’s so brilliant at utilizing an almost blatantly incorrect choice of instrument at times and completely makes it his own. Now, you couldn’t imagine anything else in its stead