• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS by Danny Elfman

Jason Dunbar

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 18, 2021
    Seattle
    I just finished watching for the first time, and I have to say that was one of the most beautiful, heartbreaking movies I’ve ever seen. I was definitely not expecting to get taken on a ride like that. Definitely a great way to end the weekend (and wind down from listening to the Beetlejuice theme on repeat all day).

Reactions: redlipsofdeceit

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Great call. This completes the set. Batman is dark and epic. Beetlejuice is playful and bouncy. E S is poignant and stirring. Three totally different vibes - yet all unmistakably Elfman.
    Soundtracks are meant to support and enhance a movie, not necessarily be played by themselves. The vast majority of soundtracks don't hold up without the visual. Elfman's are the exception. With his stuff, putting on headphones and closing your eyes is just as good as watching the movie. Sometimes better.
    Enjoy!
    (And this being played at Syn's wedding definitely brought a smile to my face).

Alina Peterson

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Germany
    :syngates: Yo family! Alright, this completes my Danny Elfman trifecta. Edward Scissorhands is quite possibly the most touching collection of music I’ve ever heard. I walked down the aisle to Ice Dance at my wedding. The flawless execution of the boys choir - I’ve read both that he used children’s choir and that he used an all boys choir. Maybe someone can dig around for the truth - takes me to a place that no other music can.

Like all of these Elfman recs, please please please visit or revisit these movies. They’re all masterpieces and will shift your perspective both artistically, and realistically.
    :rainbow-mushroom:

This is Tim Burton’s most intimate work to date. He drew Edward Scissorhands as a young man before he started working as an artist for Disney in reflection of himself; an outcast.
    :skull:

Thus concludes Danny Elfman month. Probably my number one hero, a man deserving of multiple recognitions. A man who changed the course of my life, musically, artistically, and helped to create the strongest bonds with those I love the most.
    :pink-heart:

Please enjoy

All my love,

SYN
    :syngates:

Spotify
    Apple Music
    YouTube
    Yes! Edward Scissorhands is one of my favs too! Winona Ryder was so cute back then and the music fits perfect to german wintertime.
    I fancy awesome soundtracks and recommand Ennio Morricone, Hans Zimmer, Pino Donaggio, Ludwig Göransson, Ramin Djawadi and Hildur Gudnadottir.

Bellacera

New Student
    Apr 16, 2021
    A little late here but I just wanted to say I think it’s really awesome that Syn is so into Danny Elfman’s work, I never knew! Being 15, I literally grew up watching Beetlejuice, Corpse Bride, Edward Scissorhands, Big Fish, and the Nightmare Before Christmas. They’re a staple of my early childhood. I was always entranced by the beauty and intricacy of the soundtracks and they’re always so nostalgic and comforting to me. I also grew up listening to some Oingo Boingo and I never understood how Elfman mixed SO many elements and instrumental pieces so perfectly. Nice to know we share a common interest, I’ll probably be thinking of you every time I hear his soundtracks!

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    A little late here but I just wanted to say I think it’s really awesome that Syn is so into Danny Elfman’s work, I never knew! Being 15, I literally grew up watching Beetlejuice, Corpse Bride, Edward Scissorhands, Big Fish, and the Nightmare Before Christmas. They’re a staple of my early childhood. I was always entranced by the beauty and intricacy of the soundtracks and they’re always so nostalgic and comforting to me. I also grew up listening to some Oingo Boingo and I never understood how Elfman mixed SO many elements and instrumental pieces so perfectly. Nice to know we share a common interest, I’ll probably be thinking of you every time I hear his soundtracks!
    Two musicians who worked with Danny Elfman in Oingo Boingo played in A Little Piece Of Heaven 🤩

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Bellacera

New Student
    Apr 16, 2021
    Two musicians who worked with Danny Elfman in Oingo Boingo played in A Little Piece Of Heaven 🤩
    Oh really?! I never knew that!! A Little Piece of Heaven is one of my all time favorites so that definitely explains things! I always thought it was such a beautiful song and now I can hear a little bit of that Oingo Boingo sound in it as well, thanks for letting me know! :)

Reactions: redlipsofdeceit

Anna.VG

Campfire Attention Holder
    Mar 14, 2021
    Mexico
    www.instagram.com
    :syngates: Yo family! Alright, this completes my Danny Elfman trifecta. Edward Scissorhands is quite possibly the most touching collection of music I’ve ever heard. I walked down the aisle to Ice Dance at my wedding. The flawless execution of the boys choir - I’ve read both that he used children’s choir and that he used an all boys choir. Maybe someone can dig around for the truth - takes me to a place that no other music can.

Like all of these Elfman recs, please please please visit or revisit these movies. They’re all masterpieces and will shift your perspective both artistically, and realistically.
    :rainbow-mushroom:

This is Tim Burton’s most intimate work to date. He drew Edward Scissorhands as a young man before he started working as an artist for Disney in reflection of himself; an outcast.
    :skull:

Thus concludes Danny Elfman month. Probably my number one hero, a man deserving of multiple recognitions. A man who changed the course of my life, musically, artistically, and helped to create the strongest bonds with those I love the most.
    :pink-heart:

Please enjoy

All my love,

SYN
    :syngates:

Spotify
    Apple Music
    YouTube

For this one, damn bro! You brought a smile on my face because this is one of my all time favorite movies, I remember that my cousin was so OBSSESED with this movie and forced me to watch it non-stop almost on a daily basis haha! 😝 And I don´t blame him, thanks to him I love this beauty but I never sat down and gave full attention to the soundtrack, so this was the perfect opportunity to listen to it!🥳

I think this soundtrack is one of my favorite right now, I looove all the dark vibes in the whole album, is unique, beautiful and amazing.💀🖤 It made me feel a lot of things, mixed emotions I can´t describe. My favorite songs of this one are: Death, Farewell and The Grand Finale. They´re just AMAZING and I felt everything they wanted to transmit. You can feel the loneliness, the heartbreak, the sadness, so much emotions!🖤

Thank you Syn for recommend this wonderful album! Hearing it last night was amazing! Love ya!🖤

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    For this one, damn bro! You brought a smile on my face because this is one of my all time favorite movies, I remember that my cousin was so OBSSESED with this movie and forced me to watch it non-stop almost on a daily basis haha! 😝 And I don´t blame him, thanks to him I love this beauty but I never sat down and gave full attention to the soundtrack, so this was the perfect opportunity to listen to it!🥳

I think this soundtrack is one of my favorite right now, I looove all the dark vibes in the whole album, is unique, beautiful and amazing.💀🖤 It made me feel a lot of things, mixed emotions I can´t describe. My favorite songs of this one are: Death, Farewell and The Grand Finale. They´re just AMAZING and I felt everything they wanted to transmit. You can feel the loneliness, the heartbreak, the sadness, so much emotions!🖤

Thank you Syn for recommend this wonderful album! Hearing it last night was amazing! Love ya!🖤
    Loving your review♥️💯

• Love
    Reactions: Anna.VG

Xzavier471

Music Theory Bragger
    May 24, 2020
    Really late on this one but I definitely had to get in on this.

I first watched this film with my mother and younger brother when I was really young. The score always had a deep effect for me second only to his work on Spider-Man (2002) Hopefully it'll be album of the month sometime in the future ;)

Anyways here are my thoughts!

1. Introduction: I remember hearing this on the DVD menu every time I would pop the disc in after I had already seen it and it would always bring flashes of different scenes from the film and make me want to watch it that much more.

2. Storytime: I sort of see this one as a kind of preview to some of the other more notable tracks due to what I think is considered to be the main recurring melody of the entire album making its first appearance at the 1:50 mark. Its also interesting that this track is titled Storytime and we're getting our first preview of the melody almost like the title is taking on a double meaning of sorts.

3. Castle on the Hill: This one definitely starts out with an ominous vibe and then kind of goes back and forth from that to curiosity until it decides to commit to the ominous feeling for the rest of the song, especially the last minute. Makes sense since this is when Peg is first getting a taste of Edward's world and at first is entranced by his lawn sculptures but then is put off by the dark abandoned inside interior of the castle which is the complete opposite of what she just saw. It almost seems like Elfman wanted us to be a bit afraid of Edward before we even see him.

4.Beautiful New World/Home Sweet Home: What a complete 180 from the last track as far as feeling goes. Definitely fits how Edward is reacting to seeing the suburbs up close for the first time. Its also amazing how well Elfman is able to transition into that recurring melody when Edward sees Kim's photo for the first time. Definitely helps the viewer understand somewhat how Edward is feeling in that moment.

5. Cookie Factory: Interesting how this one starts. Kind of feels intimidating until we get to the cookie cutter machines where it feels very light and delicate like they are when they cutout the cookies. When I first saw how Vincent Price's character reacted to his creations when I was younger I thought he must've not invented them himself and was merely observing them but I realized later he was just so proud of his work and reacted as if he actually didn't create them. Which shows how much of a cherry person he must be but also probably lonely since this is where he gets the idea to create Edward.

6. Not much to say about this one but its clear its giving you a view of things run like clockwork in suburbia and kind of seems like its saying that Edward doesn't belong there like he is a glitch in the matrix almost.

7. One of my favorite tracks. Too much to say about it so I think it would be better to leave it at that.

8. Etiquette Lesson: Fits the scene where Edwards "father" is reading to him very well.

9. Edward the Barber: Starts off almost goofy and then serene and then shifts gears so suddenly when Edward begins to appear more confident when he is cutting the housewives hair but then appears to seem more careful and gentle when cutting Peg's hair.

10. Esmeralda: Not to say much about this one since its so short but I think Elfman gets the point across well with how wary Esmeralda is of Edward.

11.Death: Probably my second favorite track. So gut wrenching when you see the inventors look on his face from what I'm assuming is a heart attack. Especially when you consider the fact Vincent Price passed away just three years after this movie was released. When Edward looks down at what would've been his hands its so heartbreaking since you know he'll never get them know and also because he couldn't help destroying them on accident. Last punch to the gut for me is when he tries to touch his father but instead only cuts him.

12.The Tide Turns: I believe this plays when Edward is sort of having a rampage of sorts through the neighborhood by destroying his works of art. Helps the audience get a sense of how he feels.

13. Final Confrontation: Such a crazy scene. The movie really becomes dark and mature and distances itself from the more lighthearted earlier scenes. With Jim attempting to murder Edward but instead being stabbed in the gut and then falling out of the window. The look on Edwards face kind of tells me he snapped for second. I also noticed that the Sleepy Hollow also has brightly colored blood which I believe helps it stand out from the more dark and lifeless environment.

14. Another heartbreaking scene since Edward realizes on his own that he and Kim cannot be together and for probably the first time in his life is told that someone loves him. The music that plays and his reaction to Kim telling him that fits so well together in my opinion.

15.Grand Finale: My favorite track. I fall asleep to this one occasionally and it definitely has a finale vibe. And of course that recurring melody appears in full force for the last time almost like a flower fully blossoming after only usually hearing it briefly previously. There is a performance online of this track I highly recommend checking out by a choir and orchestra that sounds almost identical to the original but is so interesting to see performed live. here's the link :)
    16. End: This one sounds largely similar to the introduction for me so the same applies for me here.

That's it guys , if you were able to read my whole manifesto I greatly appreciate it!😂 I tried to keep it short but this movie and score makes me feel all types of ways so it was a bit hard not to let loose. Hopefully I wasn't too late and Syn and the rest of you guys were able to see this! Peace ✌️

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection