• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Effects and channel switching

Jakub Valerian

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hello everyone! Recently I started thinking about switching channels of an amp, effects and so. Actually, there are two questions I would like to ask you, and they are both tied up together.
So, I started thinking about getting a different amp (a 100W tube H&K is good, but… large, heavy and there is actually no point having that much power. And a possibility of saving a ton of presets with different EQs and volumes – every sound enginner is gonna hate me) – I have now two different amps I’m thinking of. Both smaller, less power, sound should be good from what I’ve heard, but not tested yet myself. There the first question appears – the Kettner amp has Reverb, Delay and some effects I would definitely use. From what I’ve learned, these should stay inside an FX loop. The first question is, would it be that bad if I use these effects without the loop (if the amp does not have one)?
And, also, there is the second question, connected together with the FX loop and channel switching. Let’s suppose I play live and I need to have a nice clean sound. Little delay, maybe reverb and chorus. And, at a certain point, I need to switch to dirty channel on the amp AND turn off the clean sound effects. I was thinking about separating the effects into separate branches, but then the question will be, how to do this? And still it would need two steps, because that would only switch the branches, not the amp’s channel. So i wonder, is there a way how to switch something in a single step? For example my current amp has a MIDI controller while all the effects has no MIDI control. At this moment I’m still thinking and don’t know how to solve this, because not only I’m thinking about this when searching for a new amp, but also the channel switching problem appears as I would need this on live performances.
Thank you for your answers and maybe also inspiration about how you deal with similar issues!

Jakub Valerian

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Thank you for the reply. However, I might not get how this would solve my switching problem. My amp already has a MIDI and I have a footswitch to control it. Also I have several effects without any MIDI possibilities, just 6.3mm jacks. I am trying to find a way how to switch both amp channel and several effects with only one move, if that is even possible.
And also, the Gizmo midi amp controller expects the amp to be MIDI friendly, doesn’t it? If I will get for example an amp without it (for example Orange amps have none if I’m not mistaken), it will have no use again, won’t it?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    “Anything is possible if you have enough money.”
    This is true here. To do this with individual pedals requires a complex and semi-custom switching system. That’s why since I started going this route with gear in the early 90s, I always went for a multi-effect unit.
    In 1990, I bought a Fender M-80 half stack and a Roland GP-16 digital effects unit (with foot controller). I added a Rocktron MIDI Octopus to control the channels on the amp, while all the effects were controlled directly through the foot controller. That worked brilliantly, and was the system I used until I went with a modeler some years ago.
    I started with a Line6 Pod HD500, and about 2 years ago, I upgraded to an AxeFX. I find that to be the most logical, trustworthy, and useful way to do what you want. YMMV.

Jakub Valerian

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Well, I was using multieffects for some time. They still seem like the most logical (and practical) solution for multiple sounds prepared to use while not changing my setup at all.
    Also, I did some deeper research today and there are some units capable of having MIDI input and output while having the possibility of connecting (I think it was maximally) 8 effects and storing presets, but I really have no idea whether that could by controllable by one MIDI controller which would be my footswitch or could control the amp instead of it so I really don’t know whether this is worth.
    So far what I’m seeing and searching, I have dived into a quite new world which I am not quite sure what possibilities it offers. And all of that because of searching for a smaller and simpler amp.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jakub Valerian

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    To Calvin: I was thinking about using only a clean channel as well, but since the amp’s drive and gain are prettier than whatever I ever got from the effects, I try to avoid this.
    To Brandon: Oh, okay. From what I’m interested in (I have a Hughes&Kettner amp and thinking about Laney Ironheart or Orange, probably Rocker series as the only other option is Rockerverb which is a little too much for me at this moment), only Orange has no MIDI. But thank you for the information, it will surely help!
    To give this some conclusion, I have found some controllers which would probably help. Now I have to double think about this and probably I will slowly start to get all of this to another level. Thank you all for participating

This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Jakub Valerian.