• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Ernie Ball

Tom Whaley

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
They’re my go to! Although I switch up the type sometimes… I’ve been comfortable with the skinny top / heavy bottom strings for a while. Great for down-tuning and keeping the integrity of your heavy tones in tact. My band had a song in Drop B for a while that sounded like farts until I put on those strings… now it punches exactly the way it should!
I’ve tried the Cobalt and M-Steel variations, and I’ve loved them, but they’re a little out of my price range for constant use. If we’re recording or doing something important, I’ll spring for the higher quality strings. If not, I’ll just roll with the $5 packs haha #ballinonabudget

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
My experience with ernie ball strings is that the coated ones are great and last a long time but the regular ones get dirty pretty quick and start to rust. So I switched to elixir strings cause they have a long life and for some reason the music shop in my town stopped selling coated ernie ball strings so elixir is my only option.

Julian Barton

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I am in love with them! The new paradigms are amazing I bought the skinny top heavy bottom ones because I love to play a 10 52 gauge and get that push back. They didn’t break and that was my favorite part had to replace them when I tried to pull the guitar up by the Floyd when I was messing around and ripped a string out. Didn’t really break them then even lol.

Justin Mcinnis

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
If I’m gigging a lot, I love them. Only because if I’m gigging a lot, I’m changing my strings a lot, regardless of they’re actual lifetime. I mostly use d’addario NYXL. They are My favorite strings but not worth replacing every 7 hours of playing or so, at 12 bucks a pack. For heavy gigging Ernie ball slinky 10s.

Kristian Crosato

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I have tried a lot of different companies, but Ernie Ball are simply amazing. My first guitar, a cheap stratocopy that I don’t really use anymore, has had on the same skinny top heavy bottom set for 4 years by now and, despite the rust and the “dead” sound, once tuned it still stays in tune…after 4 years!! That means quality

Kristian Crosato

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
David,
have you tried to lubrificate all the point of contact between the strings and the bridge and also on the nut? A cheap and fast way to do it is to use graphite tempered by a pencil, it has great antifriction property, this is always a useful trick with all the kind of strings