• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Eureka Moment!!

JJ7X

Garage band Groupie
Dec 6, 2020
...so there I am just plodding through the 7 positions of the G major scale, trying to connect them and play them back to back smoothly. I took a little break and jammed along to an A Minor backing track, using the C Major scale to spice things up a bit after hearing that the two go hand in hand.
I switch to an E Minor backing track, and after playing the E Minor scale for a while did a little investigative twiddling and...oh my god!!!!
The relative major (if that’s the right way to say it?) for E Minor sounds like G Major!!! What followed was 90mins of noodling along the 7 G Major positions to some kick-ass E Minor backing tracks (with some E Minor scale thrown in for good measure), smiling like I’d just discovered how to walk. This could be the start of something beautiful 😁

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Best feeling in the world, right?!!!
NOW - if your jam track is just Am you can also use the G Major scale over it. The only difference is an F# instead of an F natural. This puts you in A Dorian. It gives you a different tonality. A little more jazzy.
To dig in deeper: If your jam track changes chords, like Am to F - then use your C scale. But if your jam track is Am - D7, use the G scale, (because the D7 chord has an F# in it).
Have fun!
pg

JJ7X

Garage band Groupie
Dec 6, 2020
Best feeling in the world, right?!!!
NOW - if your jam track is just Am you can also use the G Major scale over it. The only difference is an F# instead of an F natural. This puts you in A Dorian. It gives you a different tonality. A little more jazzy.
To dig in deeper: If your jam track changes chords, like Am to F - then use your C scale. But if your jam track is Am - D7, use the G scale, (because the D7 chord has an F# in it).
Have fun!
pg
Amazing. Modes is the next step, so I can’t wait to see what else will be revealed.
Having played rhythm for so long and being in awe of those that made the fretboard look so easily connected, this has been a great eye opener. Thanks Papa Gates! 🤘