• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Extended Arpeggios in a Single Postion – Lesson 51

trae.titus

New Student
Nov 26, 2019
I apologize as I seem to be the only one with this issue, but I can't for the life of me find the "content menu" with the backing tracks/exercises for this lesson (and all the previous lessons for that matter). Am I missing something?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 10.01.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 10.01.45 AM.png
    484.3 KB · Views: 139
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Ive spotted some mistakes in the tab. When it comes to C7M, D7 and Em7. Chords and tab dont match.
On another note, PG talks about exercises he has for us. But I cant seem to find them.

Do you have any we could try? This is an area I'm starting to visit too myself. I'm falling in love with arpeggios.

Reactions: Christian Schulze

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
What kinda exercises are you looking for?

Well.. any. Basically what on saying Is we could wait for pg to make them. Or we can do some ourselves. Since the one guy said the chord k knowledge I figured hed have an exercise or two to go with it.

I havent actually really started the extended part yet. I'm still working on minor 6 and caged.

fake_tourist

One Stringer
Feb 18, 2020
What exactly are you having trouble with? Playing triads in different positions and inversions? The names of the notes in each triad? Be more specific and I'll try to help.
: )
PG
I find it difficult to remember all the positions(I'm not very good at learning things by heart). If I had some exercises to help me remember them while applying them then it would be cool.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
We need to do more than just just memorize positions & fingerings - we need to actually use them in our playing. If you're playing a song that has the chords D & G - make some new positions "part of the furniture". In other words, integrate them into the song. The more you actually use them in a song (and not just practicing) the quicker they become part of your usable musical vocabulary.
OK - so let's look at the attached chart. First we have a D chord (C shape) Now let's break it down into triads; 1st inversion (root on the bottom) 2nd inversion (3rd on the bottom) and 3rd inversion (5th in the bottom).
Get a feel for playing each one of those.
OK. Now do the same thing with the G chord below it.
Got em? Good.
Now let's tie them together. Play the D chord (1st Inversion) then play the chord BELOW it. G chord (3rd inversion) Strum each one twice and change to the next. Back and forth a few times.
Now move to the next chord - D (2nd Inv) and then play the chord below it. G (1st Inv) back and forth.
Now do it to the 3rd chord and the chord below it.
Still with me? Good.
Now let's forget the D chord and go to G & C chords and tie them together the same way. Tie the G chord to the C chord directly below it. Strum each one back and forth a few times.
Logically the next step will be to tie your C chords into F chords. I did not show the F chords because they will actually be in a D shape starting on the 5th string, 8th fret. We started with the D shape so the pattern starts all over again!
Obviously this works in all keys. So move everything up a half step and you'll have Eb- Ab & Db respectively. Or move them down a half step and you'll have Db - Gb & B respectively.
This is about two weeks worth of information - so go slow.
Good luck!
PG

Attachments

• D-G-C.pdf
    24.3 KB · Views: 272

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
We need to do more than just just memorize positions & fingerings - we need to actually use them in our playing. If you're playing a song that has the chords D & G - make some new positions "part of the furniture". In other words, integrate them into the song. The more you actually use them in a song (and not just practicing) the quicker they become part of your usable musical vocabulary.
OK - so let's look at the attached chart. First we have a D chord (C shape) Now let's break it down into triads; 1st inversion (root on the bottom) 2nd inversion (3rd on the bottom) and 3rd inversion (5th in the bottom).
Get a feel for playing each one of those.
OK. Now do the same thing with the G chord below it.
Got em? Good.
Now let's tie them together. Play the D chord (1st Inversion) then play the chord BELOW it. G chord (3rd inversion) Strum each one twice and change to the next. Back and forth a few times.
Now move to the next chord - D (2nd Inv) and then play the chord below it. G (1st Inv) back and forth.
Now do it to the 3rd chord and the chord below it.
Still with me? Good.
Now let's forget the D chord and go to G & C chords and tie them together the same way. Tie the G chord to the C chord directly below it. Strum each one back and forth a few times.
Logically the next step will be to tie your C chords into F chords. I did not show the F chords because they will actually be in a D shape starting on the 5th string, 8th fret. We started with the D shape so the pattern starts all over again!
Obviously this works in all keys. So move everything up a half step and you'll have Eb- Ab & Db respectively. Or move them down a half step and you'll have Db - Gb & B respectively.
This is about two weeks worth of information - so go slow.
Good luck!
PG
This is great!

I learned most this stuff by simply learning songs and looking at what was happening. John Frusciante loves the C shape and John Mayer lives the 2nd inversion A shape and playing their songs actually helped a lot.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
This is great!

I learned most this stuff by simply learning songs and looking at what was happening. John Frusciante loves the C shape and John Mayer lives the 2nd inversion A shape and playing their songs actually helped a lot.
Great advice! Certain players have "go to" shapes and positions. The only way you can get that sound is to play it exactly the same way.

Reactions: idssdi