• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Fast Picking and Bad Habits

VizualSwami

Campfire Attention Holder
Sep 28, 2020
Vermont
Hey!
So I am trying to work on getting better at fast picking. I've been playing guitar for a few years but only recently started using a pick. I realized I have this terrible habit of only wanting to down pick. Been trying to break it by focusing on up picking but whenever I space out I always forget. Any ideas on how to break a bad habit like this? Also if anyone has some good fast picking training or exercises they want to send my way feel free!
Thanks
~ Viz :cool:

Kfir Yaakovi

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Israel
    Focus on only up picking. This way your brain will mix the habbits and it will be 50% 50% aka alternate picking.

Jokes aside, just keep on going up down up down on the same string doing some scales/training. You can find some on alternate picking lessons here on the school

Post your progress!!

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    First of all, downpicking is not all bad, especially in metal ;) It has more attack and needs to be practiced a lot to get a good downpicking speed.
    But I know that was not what you ment, so here's my tip: Watch the lessons on alternate or economy picking and maybe even watch Syn's Etudes on that topic. The Etudes will be way too fast (I guess?) to play up to speed for now, but they are great exercises even when played slow.

If that gets boring I would also pick some licks or riffs you like and play them alternate picked over and over. A good way to sneak in some practice is to watch a show and play guitar without it being plugged in! Try to find licks with focus on alternate picking. For example I learned the silent hill melody on guitar when I started playing. A really good lick for up/down picking!

Hope I could help you a little! Make sure to show us your progress on the media page!!

Reactions: VizualSwami

VizualSwami

Campfire Attention Holder
    Sep 28, 2020
    Vermont
    So I looked at the picking lessons as well as some videos on YouTube and I've been trying to change my play style so I can pick better. Not sure if this is something I should post in media? But here is two videos: The first is my old weird way of picking (using 3 fingers to hold the pick and only down picking). The second is me trying to work on better pick placement and up strums. Let me know what you guys think or if you have any advice. (Sorry my intro to nightmare isn't perfect, still needs some fine tuning!)

Old Version:

New Version:

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Keep practicing with 2 fingers, like the second video, later you can add Hybrid Picking to your techniques. I sometimes use 3 fingers as well, but usually for thick riffs only and unintentionally. The way Syn holds it is good, I've been changing my technique as well. It's tiring, somewhat stressful, but it's starting to pay off.
    Careful with your body, your a musician!
    Oh yeah, practice only upstrokes sometimes if you want to make it stronger.

Reactions: VizualSwami
    Synner Endless Summer Collection