• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Feel like I'm losing my love of guitar.

The Trash God

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Jan 2, 2021
    New Mexico
    www.instagram.com
    So this is just a bit of a rant I guess. I picked up playing guitar last year during the pandemic and doing so just saved my life. It gave me something to do during the pandemic and it gave me an escape from my life. I instantly fell in love with it and kept that love throughout most of the time playing....well up until now. Lately, I feel like I have lost the love or the passion I had. As I have stated before I am essentially forced to live with a very strict and unaccepting family who constantly berate me for anything I do., and living with them has made it hard to keep on going day to day. Normally what I would do is pick up my guitar, and learn something new, or practice a song, but nowadays, the fire to do so isn't there. What used to be a fun thing, and something that I really used to live off of doing, is something I can't find the energy to do. I used to play all the time, but now I have taken long breaks where I haven't picked up the guitar at all. I just feel so unmotivated to continue learning, and I fear I'm losing the love I had for playing. So I guess a question would be, how do I get that passion back? What can I do the help spark that love again, or get me motivated to pick up the guitar again?

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    So this is just a bit of a rant I guess. I picked up playing guitar last year during the pandemic and doing so just saved my life. It gave me something to do during the pandemic and it gave me an escape from my life. I instantly fell in love with it and kept that love throughout most of the time playing....well up until now. Lately, I feel like I have lost the love or the passion I had. As I have stated before I am essentially forced to live with a very strict and unaccepting family who constantly berate me for anything I do., and living with them has made it hard to keep on going day to day. Normally what I would do is pick up my guitar, and learn something new, or practice a song, but nowadays, the fire to do so isn't there. What used to be a fun thing, and something that I really used to live off of doing, is something I can't find the energy to do. I used to play all the time, but now I have taken long breaks where I haven't picked up the guitar at all. I just feel so unmotivated to continue learning, and I fear I'm losing the love I had for playing. So I guess a question would be, how do I get that passion back? What can I do the help spark that love again, or get me motivated to pick up the guitar again?
    Like Calvin said, sometimes one needs a break. Seems like you should take one. Take a couple weeks off and come back to it. Papa Gates not too long ago mentioned that he was in the midst of a couple month long break where he wasn't even looking at his guitar. Syn went through one before he joined the band if I recall correctly. He took a break for a little while and didn't really look at his guitar much. It's a normal thing for a musician to take breaks from their instruments. It's particularly rare to hear about a long time musician who HASN'T taken a break from playing at some point. I'm wishing you the best of luck in rekindling that passion again and that your living situation improves man.

LOde

One Stringer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lynnwood WA
    It is totally normal to go in phases where you play all the time and then don't make/have time to play or don't feel like it. It's ok.
    Usually what inspires me to pick mine up again is to listen to some really amazing guitar playing. It makes me want to grab mine and get better. Listen to your favorite songs or solos and see if that helps.

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    The one thing I would say is, don't beat yourself up over it. As everyone above has said, it's quite normal to have times where you just don't feel like playing, and while determination to keep going is good, you can risk burning out and it may feel like a chore. When I go through this sort of thing (which happens a lot, admittedly), I like to try focus on other fun projects, and then if I find something that I want to try (ie, a song from a video game or a song I hear on tv, etc), I write it down and come back to it when I feel the urge to pick up the guitar again. That way, you're still thinking about it positively and not entirely neglecting it, while taking a break that may benefit you, if that makes sense?
    Sending best wishes your way regarding your living situation, stay strong man! 🤘 💀 🤘

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    As everyone said, it's totally ok to go through this phase and needing to take a break. Don't beat yourself up over this. Do other things in the meantime and keep on listening to music, that fire will come back 🤘 for the home situation you are going through, only thing I can say is stay strong and you can rant here all you want, we are here for you!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Arsia Rose

New Student
    Jul 17, 2021
    Los Angeles
    I don't care what anyone says an abusive family will kill your love for anything and everything not just guitar. I bet you haven't actually lost your love for guitar rather you're probably mentally burned out.
    This is toxic and if possible you may try to move out. Even if it's hard. I don't know how old you are but if you live with a toxic family you will never live a happy life. You're not the problem your family's the problem.

Dimitris Findanis

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Greece
    Feeling unmotivated for a period of time is ok! We have to realise that we are humans and that we have a lot of things in mind. There are times that we have to deal with a lot of thing and guitar is not our priority during these times. I believe that we have to take a step back, regroup and be kind with ourselves. The thing is that some times we should listen what our needs tell us. If you are not passionate enough, it would be better to take a week or so without playing at all. After all, why do you do this? If it's something that makes you happy, why do you bother making it a chore. Were I you, I would take some time off to regroup and the only thing that I would do, it would be to listen to music. Listen all the band and the musicians that made you to pick up the guitar at the first place and let yourself free to find new influences. It will be a hell of a journey!

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I've had more ups and downs than I can remember. There were times I took years off (I regret that - I lost a lot until I realized I didn't want to be someone who "used to play guitar"), but like all good and reliable friends, your guitar will be there for you when you're ready for it again.

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Zesty Rage

• Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    Take a break if you feel its needed. Dont feel like you have to force anything out of your playing it wont help. I've been playing for 10 years and still consider myself a basic/beginner player and to this day will take an extended amount of time away from playing (normally about a month to a month and a half) I love playing guitar and I feel like it's one of my few passions but I also enjoy hanging with my friends and family and experiencing new things. Trust me if you feel like you need it just take a break to focus on some of the things you feel are important. This was literally me a few months back especially when I get into the mode of "I have to practice/learn this until I get it right by this weekend" hope this helps. Stay rocking homie 🤟

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I'm sorry to hear you're feeling like that man. My advice would be not to force anything & re-enter your love for playing naturally. Watch some live shows of bands you love, watch some Music-type movies - Almost Famous is a great one! The Guitar will start to fascinate you again in no time. This part of your Guitar journey will soon be a distant memory, you just have to give it time. So take a break to recoup, but don't give up!

Synner Endless Summer Collection