• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

“Feeling” and “emotion” in music.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
The slide guitar in Free Bird. Sounds so angelic, and honestly i get emotional every-time i hear that song. Especially after watching it Live, and when they bring Ronnie Van Zant’s voice recording right before the solo it brings a tear to my eye. That song is so powerful, and it brings a certain energy to the table as if you have all the past members of Lynyrd Skynyrd right beside you as you play it.

Kai C

Nov 11, 2019
Naha Okinawa
I really don't know about tunings in a way that I could tell you which one sounds better or otherwise. But as far as tone goes, absolutely it evokes a different feeling or emotion. I've mentioned before in other discussions I enjoy the LoFi genre that's been prevalent as relax/study music. There's a dissonant tone using pitch shifters and detuners, as well as bits of reverb, echo, etc. That music puts me in a state of peace where I can do things like draw. Like check out

or

As far as what the electric guitar is mainly used for, and why all of us are drawn to this school, I lean more towards the hard rock/ alt metal areas. The tones used speak to my soul. The distortion feels turned down so the fuzz is still there, but there's a clarity to the screaming sound of the guitar. It makes me feel alive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashley Willis

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Does anybody else get a certain feeling from hearing music in a certain tuning or guitar tone? Do you feel different hearing music in different tunings or certain tones? I’m sure I’m not the only one. What tunings/tones/songs give you a certain feeling or emotion when hearing it?
    Do you have an example with Tunings that works for you? :)

Reactions: Ashley Willis

Ashley Willis

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Georgia, USA
    Do you have an example with Tunings that works for you? :)
    Anything in C standard, C#, drop A#. Bands like Arch Enemy, (old) In Flames and other melodic metal bands like them that use those tunings have something in the guitar tone that I love. I can’t put a finger on it but I assume it’s the tuning. I heard a Cannibal Corpse song in that tuning (No Remorse) in drop A# (C standard with a drop top string) and I instantly felt that connection. Not sure what it is or why, but those tunings and tone have something “extra”.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    This post reminded me of something I saw a while back and I went to dig it up

This guy plays in weird tunings. One of his other videos for example is CABBAGE on a 7 string 😂 The one I linked is my favorite though
    Ichika Nito could make a guitar that is so far out of tune that the strings are practically wet spaghetti noodles sound good. He has such an interesting and beautiful take on guitar that amazes me any time I see a clip of him online! I'm surprised he isn't a bigger name in the guitar world yet.

Reactions: Kai C

Kai C

Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    Ichika Nito could make a guitar that is so far out of tune that the strings are practically wet spaghetti noodles sound good. He has such an interesting and beautiful take on guitar that amazes me any time I see a clip of him online! I'm surprised he isn't a bigger name in the guitar world yet.

Right?! He's such a talented player. It makes me want to try and learn some of the techniques he uses. There's a whole lot of finger tapping style and finger picking in general.

Reactions: Donovan Etue