• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Fermi Paradox Solo Tone - Fractal Axe FX III

Marco Corrao

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey guys! Like many of you, I was inspired by Syn to invest in his signature guitars and the fractal axe fx iii in hopes of replicating his tone. I have his cab packs but am struggling to dial in tones. What I am really looking for at the moment is how to replicate the tone for the Fermi Paradox solo, which Hector has done very nicely in his recent video. I know this is probably with The Stage cab and the 5153 red channel, but from there I have no idea how to get to that tone. In particular I have no idea what to do with the EQ to get there. Any tone gurus able to help me out?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle Magner

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Just listened to the original and to Hector's cover, and I gotta say, TONE-wise, Hector's not too close to Syn's tone, but it sounds fantastic because Hector's spent a LOT of time learning how to physically play like Syn. To me, that's why it sounds so good.

Listening to the original, it probably is the 5153 Red, possibly with the Stage cab, but could be one of the Hellwins, too. There's a delay before a fair bit of reverb on it, and also some noticeable compression above what the gain staging naturally brings. EQ has the lows cut but not too much cut from mids or highs.

Stuff like this is really not my forte, though.

Reactions: SimonEichinger

Marco Corrao

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    @Ed Seith Definitely understand the technique here is critical to make that solo truly sing, but was just trying to figure out how to get close to that particular preset he’s created. Punching in a 5153, stage cab pack, reverb, delay and compressor doesn’t quite sound crisp and satisfying like what Hector has accomplished. I just have no idea what I’m doing with EQ and other amp settings I suppose. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas of what the 5153 settings might look like for that I would appreciate it!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Just listened to the original and to Hector's cover, and I gotta say, TONE-wise, Hector's not too close to Syn's tone, but it sounds fantastic because Hector's spent a LOT of time learning how to physically play like Syn. To me, that's why it sounds so good.

Listening to the original, it probably is the 5153 Red, possibly with the Stage cab, but could be one of the Hellwins, too. There's a delay before a fair bit of reverb on it, and also some noticeable compression above what the gain staging naturally brings. EQ has the lows cut but not too much cut from mids or highs.

Stuff like this is really not my forte, though.
    This. Hector also learned it by ear. So he probably isn't 100 playing like syn.

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    @Ed Seith Definitely understand the technique here is critical to make that solo truly sing, but was just trying to figure out how to get close to that particular preset he’s created. Punching in a 5153, stage cab pack, reverb, delay and compressor doesn’t quite sound crisp and satisfying like what Hector has accomplished. I just have no idea what I’m doing with EQ and other amp settings I suppose. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas of what the 5153 settings might look like for that I would appreciate it!
    This might not be relevant and I'd hate to sound useless, but a good amount of factor lies in having Syn's entire muscular system. His pick attack, the strength of his fretting fingers, or in short - technique, really, really plays a role in tone. I can promise you that even if you go to the same studio and use the exact gear and sound engineer that Syn had recording not just this song, but any song, for a matter of fact - it's still not gonna give the accuracy because the only difference left is you and him physically.

I have had a lot of friends and students spending a too much time getting the tone than technique. Some of them gave up because they've busted their banks not achieving the tone, and most of them heed my advice and worked more on their technicalities and are enjoying themselves more till today.

Hope that you still get to achieve the closest tone possible, regardless! It'll always, like what Ed said, sound good on its own, even if it's not 100% !

:rock-hand: :rock-hand:

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    ^^^ That ^^^

Tone is for the PLAYER. It's there to inspire you to channel your muse and FEEL the best, as a player and musician. That's when the magic happens. Lots of folks shit all over Steve Vai's tone - but that's what makes Steve feel inspired to play how he plays. Same for Paul Gilbert - give anyone else Paul's rig and it sounds like a toy ukulele instead of a guitar, it's so thin and brittle.

Find YOUR tone that makes you want to play your very best.

Reactions: SimonEichinger